They're here! They're here! They're here! *pick heavy*

Chickens in the Grove

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 29, 2010
Oregon
Chickens have arrived!!! They were born on Monday and shipping from Meyer Hatchery to Oregon, so I thought it would be Wednesday or Thursday, even Friday before they got here! But, I woke up this morning with a funny feeling that they'd be here today and they were!
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

The post office was so happy when we got there. Apparently, the peeping was disrupting productivity
lol.png

66595_img_2707.jpg

The brooder!
66595_img_2714.jpg

66595_img_2747.jpg

The cats are really confused
lau.gif
They'd never seen a chicken before. They kept sniffing at the door and climbing into the empty box! Ridicy (the black one) won't go near the pantry. She just paces around it and stares at them. Sibil (the grey tabby) wants to sit with me and watch them through the plastic. And our last cat, Sophia, just can't figure out why they get more attention than she does.
(Oh, and that menacing knife that I just realized looks really creepy we used to cut the tape off of the box lol We couldn't find scissors.)
66595_img_2713.jpg

Golden Laced Wyandotte. It might be because she looks the most like them, but I think the bantams have dubbed her mommy. Whenever they get cold they try to hide under her feathers! She's not as fond of them as they are of her.
66595_img_2752.jpg

66595_img_2753.jpg

66595_img_2758.jpg

Speckled Sussex. Everyone likes her the best because she's the only orange one. Which is funny, because she's going to be brown and the rest of them are going to be orange!
66595_img_2760.jpg

66595_img_2765.jpg

Golden Laced Polish. While the others were trying to learn how to eat and drink, she was running around the other side of the brooder.
66595_img_2767.jpg

66595_img_2768.jpg

Belgian d'Anver #1. So far they're the smartest. All three of them picked up eating and drinking first. We had to dip they're beaks in the water so many times! But, once they got it, they had it down! The Sussex figured it out after she realized that they were getting something she wasn't and the Wyandotte tried to steal water out of their mouths.
66595_img_2771.jpg

Belgian d'Anver #2.
66595_img_2772.jpg

Belgian d'Anver #3. I think this one's a boy. The standards should all be hens, but the bantams were straight run. You can't see it in this picture, but this one is a little bit bigger and already has some points coming in on his comb.
66595_img_2776.jpg

66595_img_2778.jpg

Back
Top Bottom