Thin egg shells - when will it be resolved?

I have oyster shells but I haven't fed them in a while because my girls always step all over the dish and spill them everywhere. But their shells are usually great, so I guess it just depends on the hen.

I've never had a problem with this or shelless eggs but 4-5 times recently I have found a shellless egg early morning dropped from the roost during the night. I suspect a new layer who just hasn't caught on to the oyster shells yet. I've added crushed egg shells in with the oyster shell and will try scattering some with their treats. Hoping she grows out of this! I've set up a coop cam, trying to find out who it is.

@aart and @rosemarythyme - in your opinion, when is a egg shell considered thin? Meaning our pullets lay eggs that have thinner shells than store bought eggs. Our pullet's egg shells are not soft and I have no problem putting eggs in my coat pocket, when transporting them back to the house. All are intact when I empty pockets. Pullets are fed Purina All Flock with access to separate container of oyster shell. Is it a (potential) issue or maybe store bought eggs have extremely thick shells?

@aart and @rosemarythyme - in your opinion, when is a egg shell considered thin? Meaning our pullets lay eggs that have thinner shells than store bought eggs. Our pullet's egg shells are not soft and I have no problem putting eggs in my coat pocket, when transporting them back to the house. All are intact when I empty pockets.

That'd be good enough in my book.

Problematic thin shells are thin enough that you can easily crack the shell using your fingertips with minimal effort. They may already show some thin cracks from impact as you pick them up from the nest.

My blue layers tend to have thinner shells, and one doesn't want to eat oyster shell, so I generally have to supplement her during laying season.

Hey everyone an update -

ALL MY BUFFS now are laying hard shell eggs again. I used small pet select (REAL) oyster shells, and dusted some of their treats with crushed oyster shell dust along with the fact they're all almost all on layer feed. Maybe it was a fluke? they all started laying in the last 1 month (the two that laid the VERY THIN SHELLED EGGS). My "big momma" who I assumed was a roo hasn't laid in a few days so ill be monitoring her entrance to the box today. She is typically an every other day lady but I haven't seen her lay an egg yet in the last two days.

I'll keep fully transitioning them to layer feed until this next satuday gradually until it's fully switched over.

thank you everyone for your help!
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom