Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

I wish I'd known how attached to them I would become and how easily they can become sick and die
1f62f.png
I also wish I'd known how much they would fill my partner and I's lives with peace and joy, would have got them years ago
263a.png

Learning the very hard way that predator protection is serious business!  Being lucky at first before getting serious about biosecurity.  No more production reds in any form!  How beautiful and entertaining chickens can be, and how there's never enough room for all the interesting varieties!  Mary
I don't have chicks yet. I was planning on getting a red sex link and just wondered why you would never get production reds again? (Are they the same as red sex links?) Thanks

Learning the very hard way that predator protection is serious business!  Being lucky at first before getting serious about biosecurity.  No more production reds in any form!  How beautiful and entertaining chickens can be, and how there's never enough room for all the interesting varieties!  Mary
I don't have chicks yet. I was planning on getting a red sex link and just wondered why you would never get production reds again? (Are they the same as red sex links?) Thanks
They can be prone to crop or laying problems (bred for production), mine get along fine with other breeds. They are friendly :D

Things You Wish You Would Have Known?....
#1 BYC, so many here with great info, facts, opinions based on experience.

Would have never wasted my time with hatchery chicks, most are great layers but usually not truly representative of the breed.
Going from just having a few or bunch for eggs to deciding to breed and hatch your own can happen and IMHO best to start with good quality breeder stock. Might seem a little $$ but you only have to buy once.

Deep litter, better for their health and easier. Nipple waterers, no more hauling water everyday. Fermented feed, saves $$ and better for them.

Back
Top Bottom