Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Like others have said, be aware of morehens disease aka 'chicken math' it's real and contagious Lol!
yuckyuck.gif

I wish I would've known that chickens are practically gateway birds. Soon after I got ducks and now turkeys XD
I wish I would've known that chicken math is real and that my Walmart chicken coop would've gradually gotten too small.

Welcome to keeping chickens!!

You said you're doing research for a project? Chicken projects usually mean you're breeding something, so I guess I wish I knew exactly why I chose to keep chickens and what my limitations were BEFORE I got them. Cost, space (local ordinance), and time are some common limitations.

I chose to keep chickens to develop a "big bird" looking chicken... a wow factor for when I host parties and get-togethers.

But chicken math is real and I was enamored by all the other cool looking birds and coloured eggs that I also acquired birds not needed for my breeding project (added space, pens... and how would I continue the chocolate, blue, and green eggs after?!)

I am the last house in a housing development (1 next door neighbor) adjacent to a cow pasture and wildlife preserve, but still fall under a city ordinance of no more than 3 hens and 0 roosters. There was no way I could have a big bird breeding project and maintain a colourful egg basket operation in my tiny backyard (too many rooster and too many pens).

I'm lucky that the cow farmers didn't care I built an illegal door from my backyard to their grazing pasture... my flock has so much land to graze on, but **** the days I forgot to close that illegal door and ALL types of predators have wondered into my backyard to include coyotes, foxes, skunks, and raccoons.

Summation:
1.) GET a(n) (SOLAR PANEL) AUTOMATIC DOOR!! It will literally save lives!!
2.) Be clear on why you're getting chickens and stick to it, especially with the more limitations you have
3.) Chicken math is real - so at least get them from a breeder(superior quality)
4.) Ditto on all the aforementioned posts (basic health care and husbandry, chicken T.V., they will steal your hearts; they're like dogs w/o the separation anxiety!)

Last edited:
how easy and how much fun they are...to watch and take care of....yes there are daily chores but i am thankful they have room to free range...every day has been a joy...was disappointed when i found out some of my hens were really roosters...

Back
Top Bottom