Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Roll out nest boxes for clean eggs during muddy run season, rather not wash my eggs.
You can build your own and use green outdoor carpet cut down for nest pads.

what is a roll out nest box? I need a visual. I am starting to transition all my coops to be on stilts for muddy season, but I hadn't solved the dirty egg problem. Would love to see a pic.

I wish I'd have researched a better coop set up than I have. I'm using the sand for the bottom, (That's wonderful!!) however, my birds don't like the nest boxes, (BRATS), and have been using the raft above it... (Not even wide enough, unless they sit sideways....) So.... Needless to say, we're busy here trying to configure a new set up. But, they're worth every minute of time and effort. They're smarter than people think, and are pretty loving. I have them coming to sit in my lap, the fights begin, as I am unable to hold all of them at once...lol Good luck! They mostly need food, water and LOVE.... :) (And goodies once in a while)

Predator proofing! It took three massacre to realize Chicken wire was meant to keep chickens out of your garden not keep predators away from your chickens!

We had that happen. Dad built a pen made of plywood, 2x4's, and chicken wire. It worked for a while, then something tore the wire out on the pen. If you use chicken wire, put it against a chain link fence, it works Well.

I wish I'd have researched a better coop set up than I have.  I'm using the sand for the bottom, (That's wonderful!!) however, my birds don't like the nest boxes, (BRATS), and have been using the raft above it... (Not even wide enough, unless they sit sideways....)  So.... Needless to say, we're busy here trying to configure a new set up.  But, they're worth every minute of time and effort.  They're smarter than people think, and are pretty loving.  I have them coming to sit in my lap, the fights begin, as I am unable to hold all of them at once...lol  Good luck!  They mostly need food, water and LOVE....  :)  (And goodies once in a while)

What breed do you have? My RIR run from me. I'm going to be swapped them out for BO soon.

I'm looking at winter hardness, gentle (grand daughter loves chickens/turkeys) and broody. I want to work towards a self sustaining flock.

Last edited:
what is a roll out nest box? I need a visual. I am starting to transition all my coops to be on stilts for muddy season, but I hadn't solved the dirty egg problem. Would love to see a pic.

Having Coops on Stilts is Great! Especially if you live where it Floods! I built mine by hand with my own plans, I put it on Stilts due to when it rains here the water gets at least thigh/hips high. I now need a bigger coop. The one on Stilts shall become the brooder.

I wish I had known how much pleasure, joy and unconditional love they give!! :love
I would have got them so much sooner had I known this.

I know what you mean about the unconditional love they give. I lost my old Roo last week, he was about 11 years old. It hurt so bad because he was so loving and always wanted attention. When I would go to work he would follow my truck down the driveway until I left on the main road. So, to those people who say, "that's just a chicken", you need to own a few chickens and then tell all of us what you think then. They learn their names and they also learned the color of their feed bowl and their treat bag. If I would go outside with a different color bowl or a different treat bag, they would go the direction. So I would go back to the house and get their bowl and treat bag and as soon as they seen me they would come running.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom