Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Quote:
We used hardware cloth on our runs and used fencing staples to fasten it to the wood frames - you hammer these staples in. We've had a few nocturnal visitors recently that came through the semi-secure outer run. We lost 2 chicks, and that was the end of not closing the little coop up at night. That run is about to be enclose in hardware cloth as well. Right now it is a hodge podge of different types of wire fencing tied together with zip ties. Sorry about the losses and Good luck!

The size of coop & run. We were careful to build the run and coop to "minimum" sq. ft. guidelines; however, these are "minimum" guidelines. Now that they are in it, I feel it's too small. I've been letting them free range every afternoon, and they go running (and flying) at every chance. They don't like being cooped (ha-ha) up in a small run. Go as big as you can.
Even if you go as big as you can, you're going to add on to it! It is inevitable...
lau.gif

Quote:
We just went thorugh a health scare. Luckily the girls tested negative for bad stuff! Yay!!! I would add Ivermectin pour on and order the syringes online. I found out the hard way that getting needles in an emergency can be difficult, and that the diabetic needles are so thin that they bend easily and aren't really long enough! Oh, and handle those babies as much as you can! It makes it easier to give them shots and stuff. I can't believe that I can do that by myself now.

I did not know this! I am going to check our local food bank in the morning!

Awesome! We do sell eggs to help offset the feed bill, treat friends and family here and there, and we donate too. It seems most food pantries are affiliated with the state food bank We were able to donate directly to a food pantry that serves our immediate community. Another good thing to look for accessibility- one around here is only open on the 3rd Thursday of each month which didn't seem like a good fit- the one I went with is open to the people they serve 3 days a week.

None explicitly listed eggs on the wanted list, and most said no perishable items, but when I sent an email entitled "Eggs?" I got an answer back within 7 minutes. Some might not have refrigeration capability so it's good to ask. When I dropped the eggs off, they even offered to give me some empty egg cartons.

http://www.foodpantries.org/address_geo.php was a good resource to find one close- and church community outreach, and social services for your city,

That chicks are a lot hardier than we give them credit for, and raising chicks with regular outside/free range times from as early as a week old will not only make your chickens happier, but also a lot more comfortable with you. Our high outside today was 88°, but our week old silkies have been outside since 9 am and are more energetic and happy than ever! Especially if you sit in their run with them for a while and hand out treats!

Last edited:
That chicks are a lot hardier than we give them credit for, and raising chicks with regular outside/free range times from as early as a week old will not only make your chickens happier, but also a lot more comfortable with you. Our high outside today was 88°, but our week old silkies have been outside since 9 am and are more energetic and happy than ever! Especially if you sit in their run with them for a while and hand out treats!
x2 I raise mine in a pen out in the run from the beginning. Temps in the teens and twenties and they do great. I don't even use a heat lamp - just a heating pad draped over a metal frame with an old towel and straw on top. They definitely aren't the delicate little flowers most folks think they are.

What breed do you have? My RIR run from me. I'm going to be swapped them out for BO soon.

I'm looking at winter hardness, gentle (grand daughter loves chickens/turkeys) and broody. I want to work towards a self sustaining flock.

I have mild, but very wet winters, and I have had three batches of Orpingtons (Blues and Buffs), Australorps, Whyandottes, Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Easter Eggers, and mixed breed. My orps have been amazing mothers, my Australorps have been broody but at the time we didn't have roos, and my barred rocks did well too, though they were better at laying eggs through the winter than wanting to brood them. This year we have added Welsummers, Mottled Java, Marans and a Delaware. I have done RIR and will likely never again. Also done red and black sex links, they were good layers but not so social. My speckleds in the past had not made it to adulthood, but these ones are the most friendly birds I have ever had! And I think Orpingtons are hard to beat!

I have mild, but very wet winters, and I have had three batches of Orpingtons (Blues and Buffs), Australorps, Whyandottes, Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Easter Eggers, and mixed breed. My orps have been amazing mothers, my Australorps have been broody but at the time we didn't have roos, and my barred rocks did well too, though they were better at laying eggs through the winter than wanting to brood them. This year we have added Welsummers, Mottled Java, Marans and a Delaware. I have done RIR and will likely never again. Also done red and black sex links, they were good layers but not so social. My speckleds in the past had not made it to adulthood, but these ones are the most friendly birds I have ever had! And I think Orpingtons are hard to beat!

Why never again with the RiRs?

Back
Top Bottom