Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Five 1 gallon water vs one 5 gallon can solve pecking issues when introducing new chicks. I had pecking issues inside the coop and fixed it with the water in the run where I never had pecking issues. You need to slowly let more and more of the small waters run out for longer and longer get down to a couple and move the big one back in and remove one or both small ones. The pecking order gets works out and is less violent when, where to get water is the focus. The chicks learn the ropes what chickens will help or mother them to water. What ones are crappy and need a little more space. Just like a bunch of school kids on the playground. The chicks have been fully accept into the coop and assigned a perch.

Last edited:
But how did you TEACH them to use the darn nipple waterers. We keep attempting and have yet to succeed!
I had chicks hatch day before yesterday. I just put the nipple waterrer in the brooder - I used a 1 quart all purpose bucket with a single nipple and jerry-rigged it to hang. One chick ran out to check it out and I tapped the nipple and that was it :)

I think it is curiosity, and once one starts, the others come to see what is so fascinating!

Good luck!

There would be the trouble: I had a broody hen to raise the chicks. We didn't think to use the nipples until she and her fellow hens were two, and so it's not chicks we're attempting to train but hens. Who have a way of twisting one's finger--hot day? no water? Don't expect any eggs. So I give them water because I'm a sucker for a hen's waddle.

Thus if I had known then what I know now. . . .

I wish i had known about Coccidiosis and how to prevent it
he.gif

Silkies can be fragile chicks, but the best pets.
Don't take for granted a predator not paying your coop a visit for months and months. Raccoons, opossums and other small predators can and will scale a chain link fence and take out members of your flock.
Chickens are much smarter than many people give them credit for.
Chickens are addictive. I started out with 3, now have 10 and some ducks (and the ducks are full of personality).
Chickens are multi-purpose pets-they fertilize the lawn, take care of the bugs and lots of the weeds, but also wipe out a lot of my desired plants...but I love them.
You can give them many nesting boxes, but they will likely fight over the same one.
They will learn to fly quickly, so learn to trim wing feathers on YouTube before you find them perching on your fence.
Using Oregano oil and Probiotics in their water as chicks helps prevent coccidia.
Enjoy them, I do!

Silkies can be fragile chicks, but the best pets.
Don't take for granted a predator not paying your coop a visit for months and months. Raccoons, opossums and other small predators can and will scale a chain link fence and take out members of your flock. 
Chickens are much smarter than many people give them credit for.
Chickens are addictive. I started out with 3, now  have 10 and some ducks (and the ducks are full of personality).
Chickens are multi-purpose pets-they fertilize the lawn, take care of the bugs and lots of the weeds, but also wipe out a lot of my desired plants...but I love them.
You can give them many nesting boxes, but they will likely fight over the same one.
They will learn to fly quickly, so learn to trim wing feathers on YouTube before you find them perching on your fence.
Using Oregano oil and Probiotics in their water as chicks helps prevent coccidia.
Enjoy them, I do!

I have been using the save a chick probiotics from day 1, do you know of a less expensive that works just as well.

I went from 12 to 24 and a month.

Wish we would've:
~Gotten a bigger coop; I want more chickens but don't have enough space
~Not have gotten straight run chicks
~Bought more Buff Orpingtons
~Had nest-box outdoor access
These are just a few, but I'm sure I have more.
smile.png

Edit: Spelling mistake

yes on the Buff Orpingtons, I'm chicken sitting a few for a friend and I am definately going to get some they are the most amazing mothers! A raven was hovering and she just fluffed up and the chicks ran under her and she waited in that position for about 20 minutes after the raven flew away.

Here's just a couple of things that I kinda learned along the way.

Keep all food in (walmart = cheap) storage bins.

Diatomaceous Earth keeps hens bug free and eggs poop free, And the coop bug free.

Your chickens Will use a cobra mister from Home Depot and it is worth 12 bucks to keep your girls cool. Turn it on super low. Won't use much water at all.

10 Bucks sells a rooster all day long on craigslist.

Golden Eagles will EAT your chickens. If you free range, lots of hiding spots is crucial.

Fowl Pox (chicken pox) is black spots all over the comb and waddles. Your chickens eye's may bug out.

Neighbor's dogs digging under your fence may be a big problem.

When your chickens are your pets, losing them can be quite upsetting. The joy of seeing them walk around my yard keeps me keeping chickens.

Corn heats up your girls. DON'T feed them this on hot days.

Layer feed is not good for your roosters. Get Grower and supplement with oyster shell in a separate dish.

You don't need grit if you free range.

Modified Plastic storage bins with a wire mesh top make great brooder boxes. Hang your feeder and water. Have a chick box, teenager box and a out door chick run with bird away netting on top for an easy transition to the coop. Home Depot sells any supply you will need on the cheap.

Roosters Growl! They also protect your flock. And... they like lots of sex.
tongue2.gif
I knock him off the girls when I'm around. It's a sign of dominance. Show's who's boss!

My view from my kitchen window.
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom