Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

OK OK OK so....
big_smile.png

I wish I had known that even the most flighty " Handle me and I will scream bloody murder" chicken is not against being handled when it's in "Head off to the coop for the night" mode. I now stand in between the lower and higher roosts with the ladders in front of me and as the chickens walk up the lower ladder, I stop them at the the turn around and give them a check for scrapes, cuts and over all look see. Then I give them a nice D.E. dusting, a pat on the butt as they pass me and up the 2nd ladder goes one, and I say "Next" and up the lower ladder comes the next feather head. It's like a conveyor belt! I didn't get so much as one "be CAW!" from even the cream leg bar babes! So much better than the "Hey babe can you help me round the chickens up"
Easy peasey!

OK OK OK so....
big_smile.png

I wish I had known that even the most flighty " Handle me and I will scream bloody murder" chicken is not against being handled when it's in "Head off to the coop for the night" mode. I now stand in between the lower and higher roosts with the ladders in front of me and as the chickens walk up the lower ladder, I stop them at the the turn around and give them a check for scrapes, cuts and over all look see. Then I give them a nice D.E. dusting, a pat on the butt as they pass me and up the 2nd ladder goes one, and I say "Next" and up the lower ladder comes the next feather head. It's like a conveyor belt! I didn't get so much as one "be CAW!" from even the cream leg bar babes! So much better than the "Hey babe can you help me round the chickens up"
Easy peasey!
Video please!!!!

Video please!!!!
I'll have my wife come with me tonight when I go to lock them up for the night...going to attempt to clean up the ladder for this "special recording of the chicken dusting conveyor parade! Brought to you by Cosmopolitan Rednecks and the Neighborhood Chickens. Featuring Jeanie, the sassy light sussex and her all girl band. Lucy, that photo bombing red head we all know and love. Scarlet, her lovely sister, always the last but never the last for supper! And Boo and Poppin, the darling younguns! Tune in for this out of this world crazy sensation!

OK OK OK so....
big_smile.png

Easy peasey!

This is great! I agree with Coup de Grass, video please!!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm kicking myself today! I can't even eat. My chicks were ready to leave the brooder. We took 20 of my babies and put them in the big pen. They were running around so happy! I went to check on them this morning and they were GONE! Just gone! No sign of a struggle. I was so upset. And now that I know HOW this happened, I'm even more upset! My husband found 3 of them running around in the neighbors yard. He put them back in and they just ran right thru the fencing! They looked a lot bigger than their bone structure! I even asked him last night, you sure they can't fit thru the fence holes? He said, no way, they're too big. I said, ok but we need to reinforce this pen for predators soon! I didn't even consider them running away and getting eaten! I was only thinking something might come inside and get them! I am SOOOOO heartbroken! I raised those babies from a day old! :-(

I am so sorry. I would be heartbroken too, everything it took emotionally to raise so many chicks. I hope your marriage survives. I dont know why husbands do this kind of stuff.

OK OK OK so....:D
I wish I had known that even the most flighty " Handle me and I will scream bloody murder" chicken is not against being handled when it's in "Head off to the coop for the night" mode.  I now stand in between the lower and higher roosts with the ladders in front of me and as the chickens walk up the lower ladder, I stop them at the the turn around and give them a check for scrapes, cuts and over all look see.  Then I give them a nice D.E. dusting, a pat on the butt as they pass me and up the 2nd ladder goes one, and I say "Next" and up the lower ladder comes the next feather head. It's like a conveyor belt!  I didn't get so much as one "be CAW!" from even the cream leg bar babes!  So much better than the "Hey babe can you help me round the chickens up" 
Easy peasey!

Thats funny. My Cream Legbars are not totally antisocial with the humans. My Rhodebars are from another planet, judging from their reaction if we get too close!

This is great! I agree with Coup de Grass, video please!!
yippiechickie.gif
Well, I crapped out last night. My wife (cameraman) and I were crammed in the mini barn till 9 last night trying to get this on video. First off, the girls weren't cooperating, stead of going up 1 by 1 they was jumping over each other or flying up from the floor...then after we got SOME order going, comes to be the light I got over the loft is enough to see what you're doing but not enough to take videos. Ended up just dark things moving around or just grainy dark on dark. Plus, where my wife was standing, once Jeanie passed and got on the roost, all you wouldav seen was her big white fluffy butt walking in front of the camera over and over again. I got to figure how to light it up in there and maybe have my lovely assistant stand just outside the door or something. Maybe if I bring in my shop light with the hook...
this maybe might take some doing....

Back
Top Bottom