Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Thank you so much Blooie! I was following the first time chick parents this spring and hit upon one of your posts about MHP. I love the idea! And thanks so much for the links! I've been thinking that I'll need to find those links, order the right heating pad, study your step-by-step instructions for construction etc. This helps immensely. One question I have is how big of an area should I section off for them while they're still quite young and small? And what bedding should I use? There is a very thick layer of leaves in the area of the yard where the coop will be. I think they'd get lost in the leaves. I'm guessing I should rake it out and put something smaller down at first? Thanks for your help!
You are very welcome!

Don't overthink it! If I didn't have any older chickens out there I'd put the MHP in one corner of the coop or run, block it off to keep them close to it for a few days until they knew that's where "warm lives" and then remove the block and let 'em have the entire space! They won't wander too far from it at first, and since they have this "gang mentality" at first very rarely will one venture too far from the others. That said, I did have one chick who seemed to be more inclined to find trouble than the others and had to be rescued a time or two, but that's true no matter how and where they're raised. Leaves are fine, as far as I'm concerned. The earlier they get used to whatever environment they'll be in as adults the fewer transitions they have to make. I used straw for mine, but only because our nighttime temps were still well below 20 degrees and I wanted that extra insulation qualities a bed of straw can provide. Pine shavings - whatever works for you.

Just a note - when I started using MHP and shared it in the thread, it was working perfectly for me just as I set it up. It still does for most people. But later on in the thread, earlier this year, a few people had chicks who got caught up in the wire of the frame and a couple of those chicks were lost. As far as I'm concerned losing one chick that way is one too many and I felt terrible. So many of those folks went to the way @Beekissed does it and used bungee cords to attach the pad to the INSIDE of the frame, then wrapped the whole thing in a pillowcase to prevent those accidents. Still others combined that with leaving the backside of MHP open so they had two ways in and out and none could get hung up at the back of the cave. I have changed to the heating pad inside the frame, but still leave mine closed completely in the back just because of our low temps when I've got chicks out there. If I could edit my original post to reflect that change I would, but by the time it came up for the first time the thread was already a year old. All of these suggestions and experiences are in the thread, but it's become a pretty long one and most folks don't have the time to start at the beginning and read each post. So here's a link to the page with @Beekissed 's MHP set-up. Since I learned this from her and Patrice Lopatin, I was grateful for her input on how to prevent those chicks from getting caught up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update/450

I definitely want to try the heating pad brooder if I do chicks in the spring again. Does your heating pad have and automatic shut off? If it does can you use a timer to turn it back on every couple of hours?
I'm say that'd be a personal preference. Ours is older than dirt and has this monstrous dial you set 1, 2, 3, and so on. I just set it on 4 out of 10 and let it be at that. And that was just for 2 weeks cause we had them brooding inside in the family room. When they weren't in there they was in snug towels or blankets with my wife or our daughter or...in my hoodie while I was working on the computer.

Brooder was my daughters old dresser....and scrap pieces of what I dug up in the shop

Stinking cute

Thank you so much Blooie! I was following the first time chick parents this spring and hit upon one of your posts about MHP. I love the idea! And thanks so much for the links! I've been thinking that I'll need to find those links, order the right heating pad, study your step-by-step instructions for construction etc. This helps immensely. One question I have is how big of an area should I section off for them while they're still quite young and small? And what bedding should I use? There is a very thick layer of leaves in the area of the yard where the coop will be. I think they'd get lost in the leaves. I'm guessing I should rake it out and put something smaller down at first? Thanks for your help!

I used pine shavings for mine but they were raised inside in a brooder. I don't think you necessarily have to rake the leaves out. I wouldn't if I had that. I say use what you already have :)
Thanks! I guess that's what I'll do then. :)

You are very welcome!

Don't overthink it!  If I didn't have any older chickens out there I'd put the MHP in one corner of the coop or run, block it off to keep them close to it for a few days until they knew that's where "warm lives" and then remove the block and let 'em have the entire space!  They won't wander too far from it at first, and since they have this "gang mentality" at first very rarely will one venture too far from the others.  That said, I did have one chick who seemed to be more inclined to find trouble than the others and had to be rescued a time or two, but that's true no matter how and where they're raised.  Leaves are fine, as far as I'm concerned.  The earlier they get used to whatever environment they'll be in as adults the fewer transitions they have to make.  I used straw for mine, but only because our nighttime temps were still well below 20 degrees and I wanted that extra insulation qualities a bed of straw can provide.  Pine shavings - whatever works for you.

Just a note - when I started using MHP and shared it in the thread, it was working perfectly for me just as I set it up. It still does for most people.  But later on in the thread, earlier this year, a few people had chicks who got caught up in the wire of the frame and a couple of those chicks were lost. As far as I'm concerned losing one chick that way is one too many and I felt terrible. So many of those folks went to the way @Beekissed
 does it and used bungee cords to attach the pad to the INSIDE of the frame, then wrapped the whole thing in a pillowcase to prevent those accidents.  Still others combined that with leaving the backside of MHP open so they had two ways in and out and none could get hung up at the back of the cave.  I have changed to the heating pad inside the frame, but still leave mine closed completely in the back just because of our low temps when I've got chicks out there. If I could edit my original post to reflect that change I would, but by the time it came up for the first time the thread was already a year old.  All of these suggestions and experiences are in the thread, but it's become a pretty long one and most folks don't have the time to start at the beginning and read each post.  So here's a link to the page with @Beekissed
's MHP set-up.  Since I learned this from her and Patrice Lopatin, I was grateful for her input on how to prevent those chicks from getting caught up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update/450
Thank you sooo much for the advice, information and links! "Don't over think it" is great advice because that's exactly what I'll do in this type of situation. Thanks so much! One last question: Any advice about the best way to get them started drinking when they first arrive? Thanks!

Welcome! You remind me of me! The chicks are addictive, you fall in love, well some fall in love, then you are worried about takingvcare of them so I have given up reading many other things, cause here I am! Posting pics of your babies also provides euphoric feelings!
So, when I got my first ever chicks in May, I learned that the hatcheries have minimum quotas they will ship to provid heat for each other. Some minimum shipments were 25, oops! Went to another hatchery! Of course with our current tropical weather, that point might be mute?
I then learned that people who KNOW what they are doing, order breeds of chicks they want way early. I dont know how early, but it caused all my breed choices to say "sold out" on every hatchery. So, i ended up ordering surprise mystery pack
of 8 auto sex females. Two freebies sent in case I lostc any in the shipping. All ten lived, one female was Accidental Roo, who we are completely enamored with, as he is quite helpful putting them all to bed. We pray he stays sweet.
Everything is stll exciting watching them grow and learn and feathers change colors, grow, not to mention their personalities. Had I known a few chicks were so much fun, I would have had them living in my bedroom as a kid!
I can easily believe that they're addictive! I already googled how long eggs incubate, because I was wondering if my chicks are incubating now. (They aren't Haha) I'm just hoping that the first week or two go by without any catastrophes. Luckily the breeds I want are pretty standard, so I was able to order them for Sept delivery when coop is ready. :) Your roo sounds so sweet and I wish I could have one! I'm in the city though and can't. Thanks for your thoughts and sharing!

Last edited:
Are you building your own coop?  I strongly suggest that you do so.  You will end up with a better product, and more bang for the buck if you build it yourself.  If you have the option of going 5 x 6, I suggest that you go 4 x 8.  This will provide better use of materials if you are using plywood.  You could build a shed style, with full length window under the eve on the front, with roof sloping down to the back 4' wall.  4 sheets of ply wood used for walls, plus what ever you do for your roofing.  Be sure you have lots of ventilation, and lots of light in that coop, cover all openings with hardware cloth to make it varmint proof.  Skirt around the coop and run to keep diggers out.  Under coop access for birds to have cool spot in the summer is good.  Outside nest box access is also helpful, as well as a nice sized clean out door so you can shovel the bedding straight out into the run.  With such a small run, they will quickly kill all of the grass in it.  A deep litter in your run will be your best friend.  I would start out with 4 birds the first year, and add more the following year or even the next year.  IMO that size coop would be maxed out with 5 - 6 birds.  Under stock to allow room for winter grumpiness, and to allow for the possibility of a broody hen.  If you do end up with a broody, you could foster a few chicks to her, or supply her with a clutch of fertile eggs.  A rooster in a set up this size would not be a good idea.
Thank you so much for the advice! I hear what you're saying about the benefits of building myself but I'm not handy *at all* unfortunately, and my backyard has a slope so the site prep will be more intensive than if it were flat. The builder is well respected though and I feel very good about the quality and degree of predator proofing. I'm very hopeful about the deep litter method too, because 2/3 of my half acre backyard is in deep litter! Fingers crossed. After all the advice to go as big as I can I was able to increase the size a little. It'll be 90 sf of run space plus 30 sf of coop space. I'm hoping to let them free range a couple hours per day. I ordered 6 chicks for Sept delivery. Fingers crossed! Ordered all female because roosters aren't allowed where I live. Thank you for the pointers I appreciate it!

Thank you sooo much for the advice, information and links! "Don't over think it" is great advice because that's exactly what I'll do in this type of situation. Thanks so much! One last question: Any advice about the best way to get them started drinking when they first arrive? Thanks!

You just dip their little beak in the water. You can give them sugar water on their first day. They should start drinking on their own right away after you dipped them. Wait till they have all had a good drink before offering food, that helps to avoid pasting up. Have them on paper towels and sprinkle the feed on it. They like pecking at little spots and it is easier for them to start eating that way. Add a feeder once they've all gotten to eat a bit...

Back
Top Bottom