Think my BSL lady is a man...?

caileag26

Hatching
May 12, 2023
I purchase 3 BSL pullet chicks from FFH. One of them is definitely NOT like the others. Any chance I'm wrong and it's actually a hen? I tried to get a picture of it's feather pattern but it likes to attack my feet. Any ideas what breed? The last pic was from 6 weeks old. The feathering is thicker now but still only down the side of the foot and the feet are darker grey...Thank you!!

Attachments

• char1.jpg
    char1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 39
  • char2.jpg
    char2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Char3.jpg
    Char3.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Char4.jpg
    Char4.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 23
I purchase 3 BSL pullet chicks from FFH. One of them is definitely NOT like the others. Any chance I'm wrong and it's actually a hen? I tried to get a picture of it's feather pattern but it likes to attack my feet. Any ideas what breed? The last pic was from 6 weeks old. The feathering is thicker now but still only down the side of the foot and the feet are darker grey...Thank you!!
Black Sexlink males have white barring.
So it probably is a male, but not a Black Sexlink.
I agree with the poster who suggested Black Copper Marans.

I
I don't know if I can handle a rooster. Never planned on one. I bought all sex-link pullet chicks :( He looked just like the others when I got them. Hopefully he is a BCM; at least he'll be pretty. Thank you.
I will tell you from experience, Maran roosters are beautiful, but we were forced to eat every single one we got because of how mean they are.

Before we started breeding for the best all around birds, we tried desperately to hatch olive eggers, which meant having one of these guys around. I can put up with a little attitude, but these guys were out for blood and are also incredibly rough with the hens.

Obviously may not be the case here, I'd suggest a different breed to start.

I don't know if I can handle a rooster. Never planned on one. I bought all sex-link pullet chicks :( He looked just like the others when I got them. Hopefully he is a BCM; at least he'll be pretty. Thank you.
Start the rehoming process. Craigslist is a good place to advertise. We also have a section for that here, at the bottom of the forums list.

Unfortunately, hatcheries and feed stores sometimes mix up breeds. Black sex link females and black copper Marans look very similar as chicks. You are not obligated to pay for a hatchery's mistake if you don't want a rooster.

Definitely a cockerel.

Marans seem to be hit or miss. We had a Blue Copper Marans that was a big baby, didn't even crow til seven months and wanted to be near humans whenever possible. But know of Marans that would go after humans as soon as the humans turned their backs.

If you're looking for volume of eggs in the next generations, he's not your best bet. If you're looking for dark brown eggs- he's a great candidate.

Would agree with sentiment above, that if you're looking for a 'starter rooster' Marans may not be the best choice. Salmon Faverolles, Welsummers, and Cochins all have solid reputations of being calm dudes!

Back
Top Bottom