thinking of getting bees

We have several hives. I wouldn't buy the Nuc or the other set up - if it were me. There are several bee places in Florida that sell exactly what you need and the bees to go with it. I, like Clay, think you would be better purchasing 2 deeps and shallows on top. I would also consider 8 frames instead of 10. Moving a shallow box with 8 frames full of honey was 60+ pounds, with bees buzzing everywhere around it. Adding the 2 more frames, additional wood on the box and full of honey will weigh even more. The reason this is important is that YOU will be the one moving them. I purchased our first bees about a year ago from a beekeeper in South Georgia. I purchased two deeps, a bottom, a top and the bees for $150.00. This year we separated the hive, as it was way to crowded and now have 2 more hives, each with two deeps. Have you asked at your local extension office for the names of local beekeepers? The state keeps a record as well, as the hives have to be inspected and registered. They can probably assist you with finding someone who can get you a good set-up at a good price. Enjoy them!!

Starting off in a space suit is likely the prudent thing to do until you become fammiliar with how the bee respond. Installed two full deep boxes last night different strain, they were very full and were pretty hot and clouded around. Had a couple bees bump the veil but no attempted stings. I was fully suited, will have to see how they respond once they are settled in and now that they have a second deep box to work on.

Weather and hive conditions play a big role in the bee attitude, I don't have 20 years of experience and don't have the bees pegged to know what they are going to do on any given day. Seems there is a macho thing with some about going to work the hives in flip flops, shorts and a Def Leppard bandana... Got to watch you don't get caught up in that, but rather choose the appropriate gear based on experience and good judgment.

Last edited:
Google for 'topbar hives'.

You can work those without any special equipment, all you need is a veil for the head, a bucket and a bread knife.

Also, because you never open the entire hive but just lift out a comb at the time, the bees are very calm, even bees that normally are not so nice tend to be better behaved in a tbh.

I started with a tbh with help from the local bee club and had my hives in their apiary, and it was ever so easy and cost me next to nothing to build. True I got stung a couple of times when I squashed a bee as I put the frames back, but it really is no big deal at all. If I don't smash a bee and have a little bit of smoke going past the entrance(it keeps the guards busy fanning to keep it out...) I don't get stung. In essence, the bees ignore you unless you goof and then you hear the hive emit a collective *bzzz* and then it's time to gently and quickly put the frame back and retreat a few minutes until they've settled and you can work them again. You also don't need to smoke tbh bees on the frames -- in fact, when you do it causes pandemonium.

You can easily build your own tbh, I used simple 2x2 wood as the top bars (machined by the wood merchant to the proper size tho!) and put a wax strip as a ->build here<- pointer for the bees along the bars -- some people make complex bars, but my bees were just fine with this simple trick. However, I left that side of the wood rough and only had the sides machined that slide together, so that this goes smoothly (plus they need to be right size for your type of honey bees!)

Put a primary swarm in there, and watched them make 10 frames of beautiful white wax artwork within 8 days! It's real cool to watch, they hang in chains off the bar like a curtain. All you need to do is to keep the hive 'in order' that is, bend the frames into shape if they go 'funny', although the ones at the end where the honey gets stashed will be U shaped as the bees prefer this because it's a bit stronger and also probably makes the entire hive easier to fan. A hive evaporates about 1000l of water per year, so, ventilation does kind of matter!

To harvest the honey, just take a frame from the back that doesn't have any brood on it, you can separate the honey from the wax, but it tastes wonderful just spread straight on the bread.

Here is *the* top bar hive forum: http://www.beesource.com/forums/for...-Bar-Hives&s=ce958cc67a4aa5a643b908ab09a6797e

Hoppelchen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom