Thinking of getting Nigerian Dwarf goats. Thoughts and advice?

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
I've had chicken for about 4 years now and I am working towards living a more sustainable life. We only live on a 1/2 acre so space is limited but we do have a nice sized yard. We have neighbors with goats and i have been really wanting some for a long time. Well come July I will be able to have some finally and have done some research but I have questions. I would really like to have female goats for milk, I don't want males bc I know they need to be separated and I'm thinking of having 2 females and breeding them for kids and milk. My question is would it even be worth it to use them for milk? I know their supply isn't big like a bigger sized goat or cow. I'd love to hear from people who have experience with them. Thanks in advance!

Well, I think learning new skills like goat husbandry is always worth it, even if you don't get a whole lot of milk. I haven't currently got goats but I've had them in the past and did milk them. I think goats are very awesome, however they can be a giant pain in the ass. If you think it's hard keeping chickens out of your gardens, goats are a whole new level of mischief.
Ultimately it's up to you, but adding new skills and understanding is always a big positive in my book. And it sounds like you have a built in support system with neighbors who already have goats. They can be quite a learning curve compared to chickens. But oh my gosh they are so darn cute.

I previously had Nigerian Dwarfs for a few years. I had a couple females and a couple wethered males (castrated) then I'd take my females to my friends place to be bred by her bucks. I didn't milk mine, but she milked hers, it seemed she always had a couple pints of goat milk around. They are noisy and needy but so cute and hilarious. I think it would be a great experience for you! I had horse fencing to keep them in, a stall they stayed in during bad weather, and other times I would clip them on a tie out if I had areas I wanted eaten down outside the fence. Mine were super friendly and would follow me around like little dogs. If I took off riding my horse and they were loose, yep, they'd follow me down the road for awhile, then when they'd get bored they'd run and jump in a bee line back to the house.

I breed and raise registered Nigerian Dwarves and I honestly love them 😊

If I remember correctly from last year each of mine gives about 1 quart of milk a day. I have 3 I’m milking twice a day right now, but I’m not doing anything with the milk at the moment 🙂

Well, I think learning new skills like goat husbandry is always worth it, even if you don't get a whole lot of milk. I haven't currently got goats but I've had them in the past and did milk them. I think goats are very awesome, however they can be a giant pain in the ass. If you think it's hard keeping chickens out of your gardens, goats are a whole new level of mischief.
Ultimately it's up to you, but adding new skills and understanding is always a big positive in my book. And it sounds like you have a built in support system with neighbors who already have goats. They can be quite a learning curve compared to chickens. But oh my gosh they are so darn cute.
I kill everything I plant so I don't have a garden right now. So that won't be a problem🤣 and they really are cute, I pet my neighbors goats through the fence everyday. My husband knew the day they got goats that it was only a matter of time lol

I previously had Nigerian Dwarfs for a few years. I had a couple females and a couple wethered males (castrated) then I'd take my females to my friends place to be bred by her bucks. I didn't milk mine, but she milked hers, it seemed she always had a couple pints of goat milk around. They are noisy and needy but so cute and hilarious. I think it would be a great experience for you! I had horse fencing to keep them in, a stall they stayed in during bad weather, and other times I would clip them on a tie out if I had areas I wanted eaten down outside the fence. Mine were super friendly and would follow me around like little dogs. If I took off riding my horse and they were loose, yep, they'd follow me down the road for awhile, then when they'd get bored they'd run and jump in a bee line back to the house.
I look forward to all of that! I sit and cuddle my chickens everyday and they run up to me and follow me everywhere. This is just making me more excited!

I breed and raise registered Nigerian Dwarves and I honestly love them 😊

If I remember correctly from last year each of mine gives about 1 quart of milk a day. I have 3 I’m milking twice a day right now, but I’m not doing anything with the milk at the moment 🙂
That's not a bad amount of milk really. I'm the only one in the house that drinks milk and if I have extra I could always make butter or something. I worked on a dairy farm years ago so hopefully I can remember how to!

My question is would it even be worth it to use them for milk? I know their supply isn't big like a bigger sized goat or cow. I'd love to hear from people who have experience with them.

I'm the only one in the house that drinks milk and if I have extra I could always make butter or something.

Just like some people keep quail for meat and eggs (tiny eggs, tiny meat birds), you certainly can milk a tiny goat. If you do not use much milk, a small goat might actually be perfect.

But no matter how much or how little milk each goat gives, you still need to do the same steps when milking her (cleaning the udder, cleaning the milk pail afterward, etc.) Only you can decide whether it is worth spending that much of your time each day to get the amount of milk the little goat gives.

I will add that it is very important to get a doe from excellent milking lines, as those will produce a much larger amount of milk then, say, a pet quality one. the initial cost might be more, (I payed 850 for my doe), but in the long run you wont regret it. a ND goat from a good line can produce as much as 2-2 1/2 quarts a day.

That's not a bad amount of milk really. I'm the only one in the house that drinks milk and if I have extra I could always make butter or something. I worked on a dairy farm years ago so hopefully I can remember how to!
I actually did a soap making class recently, I’d love to start making homemade soap to put up - if I ever get free time that is 😂

Back
Top Bottom