Thinking of giving up

That's what forums are great for...another set of eyes(or many sets) to help see solutions.
Glad you found some solutions to ease your distress.

Trying to keep grass in a run is about impossible....I've tried some grazing frames to keep some grass going and to grow some grain 'grasses' for them to nibble on.
They work pretty good but probably won't provide all the greens confined chickens could eat...so I still supplement by bringing them greens of all sorts.
I used 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth on some for grasses and 1" x 2" welded wire fencing on other for larger leaves plants to grow thru.
I strongly suggest covering the edges of the mesh(especially the HC), like the one on top in the pic below, to avoid any cut chicken feet on the sharp edges of the mesh.

I had run frustrations also. I had a bout of chicken math and ended up with 5 small coops and 5 small runs. Best thing I ever did for them was to take it all out and build big.

Hanging treats helps with boredom. I use an screw eye and hang apples or cabbage in the run. They just screw into the core and swing while the ladies have a go at them.
They look like this....

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N...Ntt-eye+screw?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

For the run I shovel snow and add hay as needed to keep them off the wet. I am thinking in California sand would be a good option for sure.

Back
Top Bottom