This beautiful bird just showed up!

I know, and I'm sure she's being missed. She's been loved and taken care of for sure. We think she may be laying already because we found an egg in the sandbox below the perches that looks different from our ladies eggs.
We had cleaned the egg we found, and cooked it this morning. The shell was very thin, and the yoke wasn't as dark yellow as our girls eggs. We'll keep an eye out for non nest laid eggs.

The yolk being yellow indicates that she was on a strict diet of only chicken feed and nothing else. Which also makes me think she was confined and happen to escape her confinement and ran off.

I'd just keep her and give her the best life you can provide. When chickens are treated well they know this place is there home and never run off.

The yolk being yellow indicates that she was on a strict diet of only chicken feed and nothing else. Which also makes me think she was confined and happen to escape her confinement and ran off.

I'd just keep her and give her the best life you can provide. When chickens are treated well they know this place is there home and never run off.
Believe me, she'll be well taken care of and loved along with the rest of our flock of 15 hens and two roosters.

From the picture her comb doesn't look very big, I know with my hatchery bought RIR (which she very closely resembles, some of them also have some black feathers in the tail) when they were younger the combs were about that size and have gotten bigger and more filled out as they mature. I'd guess she's about 26 to 28 weeks if she's laying. Mine didn't start laying till around 24 weeks. Here's mine last december (about 6 or 7 mos old) as an example, they're more poofy cause it's cold but if she was in my flock I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

12 24 2022 552am -3 deg.JPG

Its amazing how fast your flock accepted her. It usually takes weeks or months!
I know. So, some of our girls are chasing her around, but they don't hurt her. She's getting all the good treats too so I hope she feels accepted. But the fact that she slept on the top perch last night cuddled up to the girls makes me happy. We'll keep them all in the runs for a few days and not let them free range. I'm keeping them busy with grass clods, wheat fodder, and corn since it went down below freezing last night.

Back
Top Bottom