This beautiful bird just showed up!

So I want to update y'all on our new girl. We're calling her Lucy, as in Lucky Lucy. She started laying the first week of November after only being here for about week. Her eggs are a chocolate brown, and seem to be getting progressively darker. My wife seems to think Lucy is a French Black Tail Red Maran. Who'd a thunk? Anyhow, she is fitting in as well as a lone hen would in an established flock. The funny thing is that we've got two roosters, Bok Bok who is a Barred Rock and the "HEAD ROOSTER IN CHARGE", and Dot, who is a Black Laced Golden Wyandotte and was hatched at the same time as the rest of our flock. Lucy and Dot are "an item" now. They hit it off right away:)

So I want to update y'all on our new girl. We're calling her Lucy, as in Lucky Lucy. She started laying the first week of November after only being here for about week. Her eggs are a chocolate brown, and seem to be getting progressively darker. My wife seems to think Lucy is a French Black Tail Red Maran. Who'd a thunk? Anyhow, she is fitting in as well as a lone hen would in an established flock. The funny thing is that we've got two roosters, Bok Bok who is a Barred Rock and the "HEAD ROOSTER IN CHARGE", and Dot, who is a Black Laced Golden Wyandotte and was hatched at the same time as the rest of our flock. Lucy and Dot are "an item" now. They hit it off right away:)
That is great! I am glad she is adjusting to her new home. However, a French Black-Tailed Red Marans would not be correct for her coloring. The Marans in question has a lighter colored body and darker hackles, meanwhile your bird has almost the same color everywhere as far as I can tell. Also, your hen has no feathered legs that I can see, which is a prominent trait of the Marans.

That is great! I am glad she is adjusting to her new home. However, a French Black-Tailed Red Marans would not be correct for her coloring. The Marans in question has a lighter colored body and darker hackles, meanwhile your bird has almost the same color everywhere as far as I can tell. Also, your hen has no feathered legs that I can see, which is a prominent trait of the Marans.
Thanks for the info. Any idea as to her breed? Like I said, her eggs are a chocolate brown and getting darker.

And IF her people aren't knocking on doors or taping flyers on mailboxes down the row, maybe they aren't really worried.
They probably think a predator took her.

Predators are one reason for a chicken to get lost. Chickens flee if they are scared and after they come back to their senses they sometimes donā€™t know how to get back to the coop.
Happened to me twice. A whatsapp group in the neighbourhood made it possible to return my chickens.

IMG_1834.jpeg

This is my bantam RIR. When she was younger she had black tail feathers. Sheā€™s not a production red.

View attachment 3692959
This is my bantam RIR. When she was younger she had black tail feathers. Sheā€™s not a production red.
Oh wow a bantam RIR, I've never seen one of those! That is so cool!!

I don't think she's a production red either and not a french black tailed red maran (they have feathered legs). I think she looks like very much like my hatchery bred RIR. I have one that lays pretty dark eggs and several that still have some black in their tails.
I'm glad she's doing well and has a boyfriend!

Back
Top Bottom