THIS IS A VERY WEIRD STORY!!~~~~Mystery Solved!!

chixrus

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
this is a really weird story! before Christmas, we put up christmas lights on the coop. We were quite late in taking them down, (considering it was the end of Januray) but we didn't think that it would affect anything. We were wrong. A few days after that, the chickens started laying less and less, until most weren't laying at all! Then, about two weeks later, we thought that maybe it was becasue of lights, so we plugged them back in. Two days later, the hens were laying full time again. They have always had at least sixteen hours of light. It doesn't make any sense!!!

Last edited:
Maybe Christmas lights make them happier.
smile.png

The christmas lights made them happy... Happy hens lay better I guess
big_smile.png
I have heard others say if there is more light there hens lay better.. I guess It'll be christmas time year round at your house now..

I know, my sister and i were joking that they need to be in the Christmas spirit to lay eggs!

An increase in light hours will induce laying in hens of any type, as long as cold weather doesn't hurt them.
Christmas lights in the coop are a wonderful low-cost way of keeping the eggs coming.

alright, i belive we have solved the mystery. when the lights were turned off, we found coyote poop right outside the coop. when we turned the lights back on, we found coyote tracks coming about fifty feet away from the coop and then turning around. seems the coyotes didn't like the christmas lights and the chickies could hear them so it stressed them out so they stopped laying.

MYSTERY SOLVED!!!

Awesome! Aren't animals so funny :}
I have to leave my back porch light on to keep a pesky coyote from diggin under the fence... Maybe a few Christmas lights are in order at my house too
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom