this is my first chicken coop

Chuck70

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Summerville , South Carolina
i would like to thank a number of you for pictures, how to and chicken and chicken coop info it has helped more than you can imagine. here some pictures of my new coop and my first chicken coop. Comments are welcome thanks again.

I would definitley add more ventilation to the coop. A couple windows to allow cross ventilation or vents along the eves. This will also allow for a lot more natural light. Cover all ventilation openings with hardware cloth, not chicken wire.

It's a nice solid start for sure!

Tweaking the coop can be on ongoing thing as you learn and experience 'life with chickens'.

Agrees wholeheartedly with the more ventilation covered with HC post....but maybe that panel at the top of the pop door wall flips open for ventilation?

Are you going to put any bedding on the floor of the coop?

Will probably need to put a 3-4" ledge on front of nests to hold bedding and eggs from being scratched out.

Nice Job and Enjoy!

I agree with aart. Lots more ventilation and windows, all covered in hardware cloth well secured. Buried wire or a concrete foundation to keep out digging predators. You could add 2"x4" woven wire over the chicken wire, but better yet get rid of that useless chicken wire and add hardware cloth. In addition to a 4" board to keep in nest materials, add a roost bar about 8" in front of the nests, so the hens can hop up and see who's in the box before climbing in. I use tree limbs, 3" to 4' diameter, as roosts. Enjoy your birds! Mary

Back
Top Bottom