Thought Ya'll Could Use This Info...

That is a Very informative video, and yes does explain why so many chicks began dying at Tractor Supply stores nationwide after they switched to the brooder plates. I hope ALL hatcheries will include the info with their shipped chicks. No one wants to watch their chicks die soon after arrival, and it's also in a hatchery's best interests to get the word out, since most offer a live chick guarrantee.

My first chicks were from Rural King. They were already feathering out when I got them, so did just fine with the heat plate after a forty-five minute car ride. They lived in the basement for a few weeks until the coop was built and grew like weeds. My next batch of chicks were picked up at the hatchery and rode with me in the car for about four hours. They were in the hatchery box with a heat pack under the bedding and a towel over the box on my lap. They went into the basement brooder under the heat plate and all did fine. My third batch were hatched and raised in the coop by my GLW and never saw a brooder or a heat plate. They did fine and were part of the flock from the time they hatched. My fourth batch (I can’t believe I’ve had so many chicks!! Makes me want MORE!!!) were mailed from the hatchery. I picked them up first thing in the morning on Mother’s Day of 2021 and brought them home to a pre-heated plate in the brooder in the basement. They warmed right up then spent the day eating, drinking, and pooping. That night, I sneaked them under my verrrrrrrrry broody Speckled Sussex, Dottie, who woke up the following morning like, “WTH? Where did all these squirmy babies come from?!” She did an awesome job raising them. Once they went under her hot fanny, they never saw the heating plate again. They’re all happy, healthy, and laying like champs. Dottie was one of the chicks from the second batch and was raised under the heat plate.

None of my chicks had problems getting or staying warm with the heat plate brooders. But they key was, I always had them pre-heated well before the chicks came home, I had electrolytes in their first day’s water, and the chicks I brought home were not badly chilled to start with. I haven’t gotten or hatched chicks in the winter time or early spring.

2CD9A12F-C70C-4752-978B-C139E7F9501C.jpeg

C9D3CDFF-39BF-4AE7-A15F-DF59E977AE70.jpeg

A1F5D6C6-E829-42B4-85BA-E4E17C4A9AFE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom