Thoughts on Cause/Treatment of Curled Toes

whiteybird

Songster
Feb 16, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Hey All, need some advice with a +- 3w/o chick who is having issues:

We recently bought 12 chicks to add to our flock, as our older birds have gradually moved on to the pasture in the sky. 8 birds came from TSC March 7th - various breeds - and 4 americaunas came from a local feed store.

We are keeping the chicks in a metal truck box for lack of a better home until they are ready to go out to their coop. Pine shavings for bedding, chick feed and a little ground oatmeal to help cure a few pasty butts, and fresh water. First batch of water had Sav-a-Chick.

Yesterday evening I was holding one of the americaunas and noticed she was happier sitting in my hand than standing, with her feet wrapped around my index finger. When I put her back in the box I noticed she would take a few steps and then sit, and a couple times her toes curled under but she fixed them. It's gradually gotten worse. She will move if she's stepped on, and stand if absolutely necessary, and will take a few wobbly steps on flat feet, but the last step she takes usually has the toes curl under so she sits down. I can flex her toes and straighten her legs without resistance or her displeasure. One wing is a little droopy, but her appetite seems fine. I've seen her shake her head and wipe her beak a few times and sneeze once.

Trying to decide the best way to approach this. No other chick is showing symptoms. Without knowing until the feed store opens if she's been vaccinated or not (I would assume/hope so), do I:

- separate her or keep her with the others
- Try more sav-a-chick or straight B2 (no other chick seems to be having issues, yet)
- Treat for cocci (I haven't seen any bloody stools yet)
- Treat for botulism (she's not bowing her head)
- Try something else

Thoughts? Thanks guys/gals

It’s possible that this is something she hatched with. In that case, the best solution would be to make her a little temporary brace to straighten out her toes. However, this works best in the first week after hatching. After that, I’m not sure if it could be fixed.

The part about it getting worse is what makes me think it could be something else. Normally it would be getting better or not changing at all. For now, I would keep her with her siblings. If it seems like she’s in danger of getting hurt, then I would separate her with one or two of the calmest chicks to keep her company.

I recently had a chick with an injured leg, and my best advice is to make sure that they are getting plenty of food and water, and that they can move towards/farther from the heat source if they get too hot/cold.

Thanks for the input! I didnt notice any chick having issues when we first brought them home, but I guess that's possible.

Apparently my bf gave them Sav-a-chick probiotic, not vitamins, so we just gave them a double dose of chick vitamins with riboflavin in their water so hopefully that helps. Tried to get her to eat some fresh broccoli but the others snatched it before she could eat it.

Also used bandaid to try to keep for toes flat...seems to help until the entire bandages foot folds under and she kind of tumbles to the ground.

Fingers crossed this is just a b2 deficiency...I'll try separating her while I'm working tomorrow (from home) so she can eat some eggs, more broccoli, vit water...I'll update later.

Back
Top Bottom