Thoughts on chickens at the fair

Zenbirder

Songster
12 Years
May 3, 2007
New Mexico
I went to our very small rural county fair today and was not happy by what I saw in the chicken area. There were about 30 chickens, most of which I would say from reading on the web and seeing pics here were pretty poor examples of breed. There was but one turkey and one peacock. I noticed one of the bantum hens eating her own egg, and could not find a single person who cared. It was "well they do that" and then they ignored me. Farther down I found a hen with no water trying to get a drink from the dampness, it was warm enough that most of the chickens were panting. When I tried again to get help I was finally given a bucket to get rid of me and pointed out of the building to go get water, there was none available in this building!
barnie.gif
I got her some water and checked all the others. The very pretty BO roo was hiding his head under his wing trying to make the whole screeming kid thing go away.

I don't see the point, and I don't think I will go back next year. So sad.

I agree. I felt so bad for all the chickens at the fair. The last one i went to was actually great in the care they all were getting. The problem was the condition of some of the chickens. I saw one with a vent problem. it looked like prolapse and was a mess. Some were all sore with feathers missing. Even if its just molting, why bring it to the fair? At one fair, my mother and I found one with no food or water. So we took a tiny bit from all the others to get some in her cage. I would NEVER put my birds through that. There is no ribbon worth it.

BTW.....The GOOD fair was the Bolton Fair. This Weekend at the Bolton Ma fairgrounds is a poultry show/ tailgate sale. I am going to this event with DH's permission to come home with 2 silkie pullets. My plan is either 2 whites or one white and one light buff. It is on Sunday from 9am til 1.....EXPECT PICTURES
ya.gif

Last edited:
That's to bad. I have been to good and bad and I suppose it all comes down to who is over seeing the whole thing. You must have left there totally depressed.
Lurky I wish I could make Bolton but it is to much of a haul for me and I have alot going on this weekend. Have fun and do you really think that is all you are going to come home with???
big_smile.png

I know what you mean about poor care at the fairs. Tomorrow I'm going to the Va. state fair in Richmond. I've never been to that one and am curious to see if a state fair is any better than the county ones. Unfortunately, my dh is going with me so I guess I can count on not bringing home any chickens.
sad.png

Ellen

Last edited:
Quote:
I was worried you were going to say the Cheshire FAIR....so happy to hear the chickies were OK there this year!
I have been impressed years past with the care that was taken with all animals. Me and family watched the grooming of the sheep one year...they looked like the SERTA mattress sheep!
wee.gif

The more I think about this the more I am discouraged. Can you imagine ordering chicks from someone who says "I took best in show at the fair with my "ABCDEFG" breed", you would think GREAT I am getting good breeding! But this fair will award all prizes regardless of entries. There was rarely more than one or two entries per breed, and those multiples usually from the sam person, so anyone with "ABCDEFG" breed will win a ribbon and gain bragging rights. I saw several breeds completely mis-labeled to boot! I think I will try to talk with someone next week, but I really doubt I will get more than a brush off.
cheeptrick- the sheep and cattle get first rate treatment even at this fair, some go for many many thousands of $ each. Seems that chickens do not rate the same level of decency and respect in this community.

That is truly a shame...maybe we at BYC can do something to increase CARE of chickens at the nationwide county fairs. I do horse calling at the 'OLDEST' county fair in the country in GUilford, VT. While they take VERY good care of horse and cattle...chickens had the smallest show of all.
sad.png

I will do what I can regionally to change this too!
SO tired of debating the...CHICKENS are gross, attitude!
barnie.gif

We recently added chickens to our zoo here at home with the intentions on letting the kids show them in the local 4-H fair. Nope, not after what I saw. They birds HAVE to stay there the entire time, they are placed in these small crates, they are so stressed out, pulling or molting out thier feathers, etc. Then we went to our State fair and it was far worse. I felt so bad for the birds. It was awful. I know there are poultry shows that probably do a MUCH better job at the whole thing, but I've decided to just love them in our yard.

s6bee

We showed our chickens for the first time this year but we went twice a day to take care of our chickens. Some people took theirs and left them. We ended up feeding and watering other people's chickens. You get free passes into the fair so you can go and come without any cost unless you get there late and the boy scouts start charging for parking.

I saw one pullet had corn kernals that actually looked like unpopped popcorn. The pullet probably wasn't even 8 weeks old yet. I gave it some chick starter.

The farmer coop supplied feeders so as far as feed went you could really feed once a day and it would last all day. Now the water we had to cut a water bottle in half and wire on the cage.

We also had to have blood test done prior to going into the fairgrounds.

jackie

Back
Top Bottom