Thoughts on my future flock?

Pics

Ragfrey

Songster
Apr 19, 2023
South Louisiana
-Live in South Louisiana
-Coop will be 8x8 with run 10x20 under shady oak trees.
-Coop during day, free range after work and on weekends.
-Want only 8 chickens right now.

I would like to put together a flock of chickens that are fun, quirky, colorful, and friendly. Eggs are gonna be great but that is second to having a fun flock.

I have done a lot of reading/research and I’ve amended my original list of breeds and this is what I’ve come up with so far.

Blue laced red Wyandotte- beautiful color
Gold laced Wyandotte- beautiful color
Silver laced Wyandotte- beautiful color
Speckled Sussex- beautiful color
Black Australorp- black
Blue Australorp- blue
Colombian Wyandotte- prettiest white??

What are your thoughts on those seven I’ve picked?

Unsure which one to make the final 8, I was thinking of a goldie….
Buff Orp- golden
Buff Ply Rock- golden
I read that the Buff Orp is the best docile friendliest chicken there is? but damn, that’s a big bird right there.

I also read that Easter Eggers are really pretty birds with a great friendly temperament??

Birlefelders and Welsummers are friendly pretty birds but I don’t think they can compare to a Wyandotte or Spec Sussex??

Blue Andalusians are flighty and not too docile?

Buttercups are not too friendly?
Golden Campines are not too friendly?

First, build the coop with at least one open side to help minimize heat stress.
Very nice selection of chickens however I would look at a even more varied selection. Wyandotte might not be the best for the deep south. My Orpington aren't good layers in Colorado summer heat waves. Your egg basket is also solid brown. Don't want some color in that as well?

First, build the coop with at least one open side to help minimize heat stress.
Very nice selection of chickens however I would look at a even more varied selection. Wyandotte might not be the best for the deep south. My Orpington aren't good layers in Colorado summer heat waves. Your egg basket is also solid brown. Don't want some color in that as well?

My coop plan: will have lots of ventilation, multiple windows and a screened wall as in picture.

1683295011819.png

You make a good point about the Wyandotte’s with the heat. I talked to the folks at the local feed store and they said they have Wyandotte’s- as long as in shade with plenty of ventilation, they do fine. But I do understand what you are saying. Any suggestions for some substitutes?

You also have a good point about the color of eggs. It would be cool to have some different colors in there.

Thanks!

Welsummers do lay some of the prettiest eggs. My four girls each lay a different egg. They are maybe not quite as friendly as my australorps, but it depends on the chicken, I do have one that comes to me for hugs every day.

If you do want an assortment of Wyandottes oh man, I will be totes jelly of your flock, but they have an assortment you can get from here:
https://brinkhavenacres.com/products/Wyandotte-Assortment-Day-Old-Chicks-p197165532

Shut the front door, but these birds are gorgeous. 😍 It looks like they even added buff this year!

Personally I have white duck eggs, lighter brown / pinkish eggs from my Australorps (one is even lightly speckled) aand then the darker and very pretty speckled Welsummer eggs. This pic was actually taken before the ducks came into lay, so it's just Australorp and Welsummer eggs.
20230126_172042_1674771918162.jpg

I have been planning to add Marans for the darker eggs on the opposite end, and I accidentally ended up with a few starlight green eggers so we'll see. Point is, it's up to you color wise. You don't have to have *all* the colors to have a pretty basket. But if you do want a little variety, then you would want to get more than just wyandottes / SS / Orps. Although I will say, there is a range of dark to light from one bird to the next, even among the same breed.

Easter eggers are pretty readily available and tend to have good temperaments if you want that, but if you want more pure breeds, then that can be harder to source individual chicks. Most hatcheries have shipping minimums, and I don't know any that literally let you pick one of each breed. I think Meyer or somebody maybe does very specific assortments of hatching eggs, so you could also go that route and hatch your own! Many places will do a rainbow layer assortment etc, but then you may not get your Wyandottes or exactly the eye candy you have in mind. Lots of ways you can go.

Eight is also a very specific number. Like when I got 5 Welsummers from cackle (I wanted 5+5 for ten), they sent six (not sure if I could have ordered fewer or not, about the minimum people will ship is four, but you need to have three of each breed, and you'll also be subject to hatch dates and breed availability during a chick shortage lol), so we had 11, then we lost two later to predators, so the number may have to be a little bit fluid. You could also get a dozen hatching eggs and see what hatches and maybe you'd have 6-8 or 10 birds, but probably not 12...

If you want to get from the local guy, maybe ask him what color wyandottes he gets in, or if he can get anything else in particular for you. I have heard of some feed stores placing chick orders for their customers, so he might be able to help you get a little more specific with your order. Of course he'll still be limited by breed availability etc, just not sure if they let them do more custom orders, or say he gets the birds you want but has no problem just selling the extras.

-Live in South Louisiana
-Coop will be 8x8 with run 10x20 under shady oak trees.
-Coop during day, free range after work and on weekends.
-Want only 8 chickens right now.

I would like to put together a flock of chickens that are fun, quirky, colorful, and friendly. Eggs are gonna be great but that is second to having a fun flock.

I have done a lot of reading/research and I’ve amended my original list of breeds and this is what I’ve come up with so far.

Blue laced red Wyandotte- beautiful color
Gold laced Wyandotte- beautiful color
Silver laced Wyandotte- beautiful color
Speckled Sussex- beautiful color
Black Australorp- black
Blue Australorp- blue
Colombian Wyandotte- prettiest white??

What are your thoughts on those seven I’ve picked?

Unsure which one to make the final 8, I was thinking of a goldie….
Buff Orp- golden
Buff Ply Rock- golden
I read that the Buff Orp is the best docile friendliest chicken there is? but damn, that’s a big bird right there.

I also read that Easter Eggers are really pretty birds with a great friendly temperament??

Birlefelders and Welsummers are friendly pretty birds but I don’t think they can compare to a Wyandotte or Spec Sussex??

Blue Andalusians are flighty and not too docile?

Buttercups are not too friendly?
Golden Campines are not too friendly?
I ❤️❤️❤️ the Speckled Sussex, they are curious, funny and very friendly…. I also have a Barnevelder which I absolutely love… she can be bossy, but has many of the personable characteristics as the Sussex… she talks to me, comes when called…. And lays my biggest eggs!! It’s hilarious. I love Buff Brahmas as well but be warned they are the friendly giants and need a little more attention so they don’t over heat in our Southern temperatures. Usually a sprinkler does the trick or ice water treats…. I’ll be curious what you choose. I wished I had the Blue laced Red Wyandottes….

I ❤️❤️❤️ the Speckled Sussex, they are curious, funny and very friendly…. I also have a Barnevelder which I absolutely love… she can be bossy, but has many of the personable characteristics as the Sussex… she talks to me, comes when called…. And lays my biggest eggs!! It’s hilarious. I love Buff Brahmas as well but be warned they are the friendly giants and need a little more attention so they don’t over heat in our Southern temperatures. Usually a sprinkler does the trick or ice water treats…. I’ll be curious what you choose. I wished I had the Blue laced Red Wyandottes….
That’s good to hear about the SS, I am reading a lot of contradictions on SS, Welsummers, Australorps and Wyandotte’s….Some say they are the sweetest bird they have and some say they are very bossy and pick on other gentle birds. I know that it can be on an individual basis, I will have a hard time tolerating a bully.

That’s good to hear about the SS, I am reading a lot of contradictions on SS, Welsummers, Australorps and Wyandotte’s….Some say they are the sweetest bird they have and some say they are very bossy and pick on other gentle birds. I know that it can be on an individual basis, I will have a hard time tolerating a bully.
I think they are probably all good picks. I had heard that Wyandottes were perhaps more bossy and I stayed away from them initially because I didn't really want any divas, but so far (in the brooder) they have been fine. IMHO if you could get a pair of each of those breeds, you'd have a very nice flock, indeed!

Back
Top Bottom