Thoughts on my future flock?

Pics
I guess the bottom line of the discussion above is, if you're going to buy hatchery birds, probably go with the Cream Legbar and Ameraucana instead of the Starlight Greens and Praire Blues. A better bet in terms of reproductive health. I wish you the best with your future flock! You're going to love your girlies so much, just you wait and see 😉!
Thank you very much for this information!! I am below a novice with chickens trying to read and learn as much as I can.

Building my own coop is actually fun and I can’t wait to get my chickens. Really crazy to think how excited I get about it.

I started out with virtually zero knowledge of chickens. Long story but the chickens were a family food source for eggs (not really pets), and then I took over care of them and absolutely fell in love! Still can't believe I managed to think they were "ok" animals for the first three years of their existence :he. Believe me, I am not and will never be an expert. We're all novices at this sort of thing; I learn something new every single day.

I'm expanding my current flock with a bunch of new hens of different breeds, and the excitement is honestly so much fun! Waking up every morning like a kid at Christmas...heehee! It's gonna be a ton of fun!

You are correct. I would like very pretty hens with various colors of eggs.

Thank you sooo much for your suggestion. This is great information!

I think I have narrowed it down to these 11.

Black Copper Maran- dark egg
Welsummer- dark egg
Buckeye- brown egg
Spec Sussex- cream egg
Blue laced Wyandotte- cream egg
Golden laced Wyandotte- cream
Silver laced Wyandotte- cream
Starlight green Egger-green egg
Blue Andalusian- white egg
Easter Egger- ? egg
Prairie blue Egger- blue egg

Possible alternates are:
Australorp- brown egg
Ameraucana- blue/olive egg
Cream Legbar- blue egg
Just another push for Ameraucana and Cream Legbar over the Egger mixes, for reasons outlined in the previous posts.

I also have to push for Australorps, as they are absolutely gorgeous and friendly!

Your choices are great, good luck with whatever you end up with!

Just another push for Ameraucana and Cream Legbar over the Egger mixes, for reasons outlined in the previous posts.

I also have to push for Australorps, as they are absolutely gorgeous and friendly!

Your choices are great, good luck with whatever you end up with!
Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes. I will go with the Ameraucana, Cream Legbar and Australorp.

Thanks to @mchickies and @Chipmunk Chicks I learned the difference between heritage and hybrid. I had no idea there was such a crucial difference.

Thanks for the education y’all!!!

Back
Top Bottom