Thoughts on respiratory distress

MichelleT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Denver, CO
Before I begin, here is my disclaimer. I have a Marek's infected mini-flock, infected 5 years ago. I have done in-depth Marek's research, and do not need comments on Marek's but rather on the respiratory infection that is infecting one of my girls. I know that these two things cannot be separated though, so I am also aware that I'm probably fighting a losing battle. BUT, I can't not try, so here goes...

My almost 3-year old, Buff Orpington recently has been acting differently. On Wednesday, (3 days ago), I noticed in the late afternoon, that her breathing was rattling, and she would cough and/or sneeze on occasion - also a rattling sound. I began treating her with Tylan that evening, and by morning her cough seemed to be gone. I continued treating with Tylan, 3X/day, and she kept up her high-energy and appetite for fun food (medicine laden bread chunks and oatmeal) but not so much for normal food.

This morning (day 3 of Tylan), her breathing rattle was back, as was her sneeze/cough, and her appetite is diminished considerably. Her energy is gone as well and she is just standing around. (As opposed to yesterday when she was tearing around)

No other birds sound like her, although there is the occasional sneeze...

Until today, her poop looked normal. I have noticed no poop at all from her today and brought her in around lunchtime.

I know that if this is viral, the Tylan won't help. I just find it interesting that the symptoms disappeared for 2 full days before returning in full force.

I am aware that this, combined with Marek's, doesn't sound good for this girl, or any others. I have been able to buy others a little time (as long as a year), but eventually, they just can't fight off both. She's a BO, and true to her breed she's my best little chicken friend; I can't give up just yet.

Are there any thoughts about what I might do differently than what I am doing now?
Thanks in advance!

I'm having similar issues with my 5 month old pullet. I noticed a respiratory noise last night. She was also sneezing(sounded like she had a cold) runny nose etc.
Today her poop looked normal, she is energetic and eating..as you stated your was doing before todays bad turn in health which is why I'm hoping to hear of a solution in case my lady takes a bad turn.
Today, I put some tea tree on her ears and eucalyptus on her crown, beak and rubbed into her chest. I just checked on her, still a little raspy but not nearly as bad. I'm holistic only so I don't know if others have found success using these? Or if I'm just a hippy with wishful thinking? ✌

Mine just died, so I will be no help. I have had good luck with Tylan and respiratory stuff with my birds when they were younger... this if my first adult bird with anything like it. I'm sure Marek's played a huge part in this.

Mine just died, so I will be no help. I have had good luck with Tylan and respiratory stuff with my birds when they were younger... this if my first adult bird with anything like it. I'm sure Marek's played a huge part in this.
If it died, I suggest send the dead bird off for a necropsy so you can find out what you’re dealing with. It sounds like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) that you’re dealing with.

Awe girl dang I'm sorry to hear about that. 😞Farm life can be rough sometimes I've learned.
I'll do some research on Mareks disease. I've not heard of it before. I was told to use garlic apple cider vinegar and crushed red pepper flakes in the water and add garlic powder if they appear to have a runny nose. Ive seen runny noses before but this raspy chest noise is new to me.
Thank you for sharing your sad experience for us to glean proactive information from.

Back
Top Bottom