Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
I won't go without a rooster as long as I have hens. We love hatching our own eggs. My big, feathered buddy sleeps in the hammock with me. Both roosters I've had were very docile, but the are Buff Orpingtons, so it's somewhat expected. I love watching them interact with the flock and I enjoy a roosters crow. I have to disagree with the people posting about roosters not being protectors as much as sacrificial lambs. While mine would sacrifice himself for the hens from a ground predator, a good rooster will shine with aerial predators. Since having roosters I have not had one hen lost to hawks or eagles. With his head on a swivel, he's spotted plenty of hawks and sent the girls to cover. The only time one managed to sneak in on the back side of the house, my rooster almost killed the hawk before he was able to injure the hen he tried to get. The hawk limped up to a tree and never returned.

The only suggestion I have is not to write him off as aggressive when he's in the 6-9 month old range. Many roosters will turn slightly aggressive with the hormones flying at that time amd that's when most people give up and send them to freezer camp. I think of it as an awkward teenage time of their life. A lot of roosters calm back down once they adjust to the hormones. I'm not saying that all roosters are good, but I've had good luck them them.

I don't understand this, mainly because people who complain about roosters usually have dogs that bark the hell out of themselves at all times. I've found that even cats, when they're not kept indoors, are super noisy at night.

Sure, roosters may crow at any time of the day, but it is one or two crows, and then they shut up. Dogs can bark constantly for half an hour, even at 4 am if there's a cat wandering around, and no one cares.

Serious question tho, do you even HEAR your rooster's crow if you're sleeping? I heard him the first, second time he crowed, not every single morning in my life (unless I was already awake). When my boyfriend stayed the night, he only heard him the first, second time, too. Same with my neighbor as far as she told me. It's like people's brains learn to ignore the crowing, unless, I guess, you have insomnia or very light sleep?
I think it depends on the rooster, the neighborhood, and the proximity of the crowing to the neighbors. Remember that backyard chicken flocks aren't just on farms and large ranches. In the neighborhood where I live, we're all people with regular daytime jobs. Pretty much all of us have chickens. But being woken up by an outdoor alarm set to go off at all hours just doesn't go over too well. The last time anyone started a new flock here was 3 years ago. They ended up with 1 rooster in the group, and he was gone within a week of starting to crow (was waking their own kids up). So really, again, to each his own.

I'm newer to the chicken arena than most here... BUT! I now have 2 roosters... and they are quite an invincible duo. Thus far, the 2 roosters have not butted-heads... I'm playing it by ear. If they began fighting, I would have to get rid of the younger roo.

Hawks are a problem in my area... but the hawks steer clear of our roos.

Obviously, a roo is no match for a racoon or coyote or fox or... I think you see my point.

But... a handy thing they are. Ever since I have had a full grown roo, I have never lost a girl to a hawk. Being aggressive is part of the roo survival skill. You DEFINITELY can be friends with a roo... just know that you can't really 'train' them out of their negative behaviors. Those behaviors merely come with having a roo. They were created to be protectors... and I can honestly say that a roo brings A LOT of order to a flock. Roosters can't really do serious damage to the human body, this much we know. Flogging is painful... spurs are not fun... but the best thing you can do if you are being approached by a roo in an aggressive manner is picking up your foot, pointing it at the roo, and using the tip of your foot to keep him at bay. He will learn very quickly that he is no match.

Spraying an aggressive roo in the face with water only makes them MORE angry. NEVER EVER hit or strike a roo in any way. If it comes to violence, cull the bird. NO abuse or physical confrontation helps the situation. DO NOT remove the bird's spurs under any circumstance. Also beware if you live in a very cold environment, a roo can get frostbite on their comb and wattle very easily, particularly if their wattle gets wet.

You can always carry a stick or some other type of device to protect yourself... but NEVER use it for anything other than a GUIDE. Be careful of what you wear and what you carry. Sometimes things such as high boots or carrying a bucket can cause them to go into alert mode and attack. This is perfectly normal.

CONSTANTLY talk to your roo. Make some sort of phrase that you repeatedly say to them every time you see them. For me, I say to my roo, "Ash, you're such a big boy" in a certain voice. (I have a different phrase for my other roo). That way he knows, whatever I am wearing or carrying around, it is me, his friend. EVERY time he comes around, say that phrase to him, talk to him, etc. It is VERY helpful to bring some sort of food such as oatmeal, particularly if you are out walking and exercising in the free range area of the roo.

It is very important that you have a working relationship with a roo. They are so incredible and rewarding. Watching them find food for the girls, etc... it is all a very amazing part of creation.

EDIT: OH, and don't be afraid if your roo comes around you dancing, etc. Most of the time, he is merely showing-off...

Don
Love this! Thanks!

I have a few Roos & love them all. Each has a unique personalities & crows as well as other sounds they make. I've gotten quite attached to my boys. I'm also very grateful for how they tend to their hens, from offering all delicious treats to hens 1st & alerting them to potential danger. There are many predators here at all times, hawks, falcons, foxes, neighbor's cats & dogs, raccoons, possums, skunks, saw some otters a few times pond hopping, an occasional coyote. I haven't been able to fence in, but most predators can jump, climb or dig their way in, anyway. What I have done is build predator proof pens for each Roo & his group of hens. I only free range them when I am outside with them, mostly daily intervals after work weather permitting & a few full days per week when I am there working on an outside project or can have the shop garage door open to keep an eye out. Now the predators here, have been living here with their routines longer than people bought parcels & moved in, as it was farmland for generations. It is still surrounded on 3 sides by farmland, so honestly at any given moment, day or night, you can plainly see foxes right on my property. Right now 2 vixens have raise 2 litters of kits, and they love rolling around the grass & playing where my property meets the cornfields. They often lay in the sun watching me do my chores. The 1 vixen has decided she enjoys my company & lays down by the firepit when I've got scrap wood to burn. Amazingly, she took notice of me getting photos of gorgeous sunsets a few years ago, and now sits down to gaze up at them with me. I'm not saying I trust wild foxes, but we do seem to have a synergy going. The foxes chase off the coyotes. I know they would love chicken for dinner if they had the opportunity, though. Even with me standing there, they'll trot right up, mostly to see what I am doing...but at times have been within 5 feet of me & my grub & worm pecking flock. All of my Roosters are sweet with me, I can hold, pet, fuss over & sit with each one on my lap...but let me tell ya, the Roos will give the alert to the hens, which gets them to safety, then puff up & strut with serious demeanor, letting foxes know Mr. Roo will Not be intimidated. Some of my hens are seniors & not so fast, & while I am outside I can't be everywhere, as I'm usually doing some digging, raking, pruning, painting, woodworking or the other 90 million items on the to-do list, so I do appreciate my Roosters very much. They let us All know what's going on & who is here. I can tell just by their vocalizations if it's a hawk, fox, stray dog, cat or just a nosy passerby. I currently have 12 Roosters, all quite wonderful. Breeds are Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Easter Egger, Rhode Island Red & Wyandotte. I can't imagine life without them. ❤️

I also added 4 Guineas & they certainly raise a ruckus. They seem to get along fine with my Chickens, Roosters & Homing Pigeons...all are out on nice weather days when I am there. Guineas are funny, they don't like trespassers either but their vocalizations are not as diverse as the Roosters. One Rooster...a Buff Orpington named Romeo, he actually says a loud, long "Wow" when a hawk is flying. I notice Everyone looks up, & sure enough, there's a Red Tail soaring gracefully or a Cooper zooming way up high. It is awesome having such an alarm system! Plus I just love the sound of crowing. 🐓 Most of the photos in my phone are of my handsome boys lol. Keep your boy & give him a chance, he may just become one of your best decisions.
View attachment 3550787View attachment 3550788View attachment 3550790
View attachment 3550794
View attachment 3550797View attachment 3550798
View attachment 3550800

View attachment 3550807
View attachment 3550813View attachment 3550817
View attachment 3550823
View attachment 3550825View attachment 3550826View attachment 3550827
View attachment 3550829View attachment 3550830
Thanks for the info! Gorgeous roosters by the way!!

So here is the roo in question. He's an EE and is around 9 weeks old. I think he must have some Cream Legbar in him because of his crest. So far he's behaving well, though he seems wary of me when I come close to him or the rest of the chicks. I've been pretty hands off with this batch of chicks...

IMG_0247.jpg

I've had chickens now for a few years, but never a rooster. I have a beautiful roo that I am thinking about keeping, but I'm honestly nervous that he's going to end up being aggressive and be more of a headache than he's worth. The main reason I'd keep him is to help protect against predators, but I'm not convinced it will make that much of a difference. Those that have or have had roosters, what are your thoughts on this?
You should keep him! They are not all bad. I have one of the sweetest roosters. If he starts to get out of hand show him dominance. Good luck 😁

I have two 17 week old roos that I'm trying to keep. They have never fought. One still eats out of my hand. The other one has recently started watching me closely and is very protective of the hens. I separated them from the girls today because their hormones are going crazy. I don't have a safe roosting place for them yet so I let them go back to the coop tonight and everything seemed fine. I'm winging it, but I definitely enjoy my roosters and hope to keep them both.

Rooster are nothing more than the first to go when it comes to predators.
I strongly disagree! If you have too many roosters, then that may be the behavior, but in my experience, the main roosters will guard his flock of hens to the death. I currently have two Salmon Faverolles roosters. Tank is the first to leave the run to check things outside and the last to go back into the coop in the evening after making sure everyone, including the other main rooster, Jake, are safely inside. He even waits for me to help me round up the other chickens if they are not quite ready to go inside.

Back
Top Bottom