Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
I put in a very qualified upvote.

Roosters *can* act as a good alarm system. Some few have been known to go for a predator or they may lead the way to safety.

To me, beyond the minimal predator protection and the simple need to have one in order to breed, the real value of a rooster is that a good Flockmaster keeps order in chicken society.

I'm changing out my boys because of inbreeding and to improve my birds and ended up choosing Seti, the black cockerel, over Rameses II, the blue cockerel, because of his personality.

Specifically, he's my sidekick when I'm rounding up unauthorized free rangers at dusk -- helping me herd them in when I open the fence.

Rameses, my Flockmaster, keeps very good order in his flock -- breaking up hen fights, keeping adolescents from tormenting chicks (I've seen them run right under Rameses to get away from a pursuer), disciplining the younger cockerels, etc.

I enjoy the chicken flock dynamic with multiple ages and both sexes.

I keep my flocks in runs at this time because of my dogs (so I don't worry about predators), but I like keeping a couple of roosters. I keep them so I can hatch out my own chicks, but in addition to that they are handsome, fun to watch, and I like their crowing. I've probably been lucky, and I tend to have docile breeds, but I haven't had a truly nasty rooster yet. If I did, I would send him to freezer camp. So far, as long as I price them low enough, and don't mind waiting a few weeks, I haven't had much trouble rehoming my unwanted cockerels/roosters on Craigslist.
They are so FUN to watch and so handsome ! I too enjoy the crowing. 😊

Thank you! How hard was it to find a good roo?
Idk 🤷🏼‍♀️ maybe I just got lucky
It did take a few weeks tho for things to settle once I introduced him. The girls hated him at first and was seriously considering getting rid of him because the flock dynamic changed. But after about 4-5 weeks all the girls liked him. Well 2 tolerate him 🙄
But he is a good boy to them and they see it now too.

The rooster/male being a flock protector is slightly...flawed in my opinion. A good male will absolutely protect the from from predators, but not in the sense of standing in between the hens and the predators in question, that's just a waste of a lovely rooster. The way they protect the flock is by always keeping a watchful eye out for any predators, and giving alarm calls way in advance, giving the whole flock enough time to properly take cover. Aside from that, the males are beautiful, and that is probably the only time your hens will agree with you. Build a good relationship with the male, and you've secured the whole flock. I don't need to round everybody up, once the rooster goes in the coop, the girls follow

A good roo will alert the girls to danger and sacrifice himself to save them. It’s their instinct. I personally will never be with out one again. They keep the peace amongst the hens, they show them where the food is and where a good nesting area is, and you’ll get fertlized eggs that you can incubate if you choose.
All of this. 👆🏻 I have 2 roos now, and they each have helped in keeping my flock safe. They not only alert the girls, but they alert me when something is coming while they are out with me. Many times though I have had to move my alpha so that I was the one standing between the flock and a predator. I will not test my young roosters' abilities against a predator when I can easily step in, and before their spurs are fully grown.

Agree with everything said.
I've had far more good roosters than bad. I really enjoy having them around, and they do tend to keep the peace in the flock. I've had hens be jerks in the absence of a roo, and things settle back down once there's a roo in charge again. Most of my roo's will break up a hen spat. I currently have 3 mature roo's and one cockerel. None of them have ever gone after a human. I had a hawk attack once and my roo at the time did run it off. I found later, when I figured out what had happened, that he'd busted off a spur doing it, he was slightly bloodied, but I only lost one hen. At least one other hen was attacked also based on the feathers laying around. Anything larger than that, the roo will just be the first to go. But they do alert the flock. I've not found aggressive boys to be breed related, it's more individual genetics. The nastiest boy I ever had was a Light Brahma, and he was a physically huge SOB. He didn't stay long, you absolutely could not turn your back on him. Most of my boys have been really good roo's however. I have a soft spot for the boys, and I keep as many as I can peacefully do. They are beautiful, and entertaining. One of the first signs is whether he gets out of your way when you approach, or if he looks like he's deciding to take you on or not, or worse, starts charging you. The good ones tend to give you space and be pretty respectful early on. If they are in your space and don't move, that's not respectful. That can always change as they mature, but in general, I think that's true. My bad ones usually showed that tendency pretty early on. I don't keep the bad ones, it makes it no fun to keep chickens if you are always getting charged, flogged or spurred. They can always become soup!

Back
Top Bottom