Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
Pics
If roosters are legal in the area the neighbors don't get a veto.

Keeping chickens, including roosters, is part of being in the country. :)

Besides, roosters aren't noisy.

Highway traffic, factories, freight trains, industries, and airplanes are noisy. (I grew up in an industrial area ;) ).
A rooster's crow, with the sound being measured at his beak, is 140 decibels loud (hence chickens being able to close their ears). However, I agree with you, I have never seen a rooster's crow as annoying—actually, I enjoy hearing them crow! :)

Highway traffic, factories, freight trains, industries, and airplanes are noisy. (I grew up in an industrial area ;) ).
Add hens to that - my ladies are extremely noisy! My poor Roo just stay clear of the drama - sometimes I think he wants to hide in the office with me 😆

Unfortunately, not always the case. Neighbors do get a say, and in most counties the noise rules for incessantly barking dogs are the same for roosters. LA County will actually prosecute people who don't comply with nuisance barking/crowing/loud music after 10. If neighbors complain, then animal control can get involved. Same for San Luis Obispo county. I'd personally want to stay on good terms with my neighbors (we have great weekend get-togethers with ours😁), and check the laws in your county.

Your neighbors get to tell you what legal activities you can do on your own property?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:th:th:th:th:th

That's just horrible!
I feel like you may be missing the point...
If you create a noise nuisance on your property and it effects the people who live next to you or nearby, they definitely have the right to ask you to cease. You're no longer keeping what you do on your property. Say one of your neighbors suddenly decides to start learning to play the saxophone, at night (a legal musical instrument-on their own property)-and it wakes you up every night, 2 or 3 times a night. You'll probably get a little pissed off, ask them to stop, and eventually call the cops. In other words, something you do on your own property is your business until it effects your neighbors. But hey, dance naked under the moonlight on your own property- That's no one's business but yours!

If you create a noise nuisance on your property and it effects the people who live next to you or nearby, they definitely have the right to ask you to cease. You're no longer keeping what you do on your property. Say one of your neighbors suddenly decides to start learning to play the saxophone, at night (a legal musical instrument-on their own property)-and it wakes you up every night, 2 or 3 times a night. You'll probably get a little pissed off, ask them to stop, and eventually call the cops. In other words, something you do on your own property is your business until it effects your neighbors. But hey, dance naked under the moonlight on your own property- That's no one's business but yours!

5 acres should be plenty to keep the rooster noise at a reasonable level on the fenceline. :)

Keeping farm animals on rural properties is something normal and expected for the environment. Complaining about them is like moving next to the airport and complaining about the planes.

5 acres should be plenty to keep the rooster noise at a reasonable level on the fenceline. :)

Keeping farm animals on rural properties is something normal and expected for the environment. Complaining about them is like moving next to the airport and complaining about the planes.
To each his own.

This isn't really a good analogy. In your case, you're using an instrument that can be picked up and put down any time during the day. Playing said instrument is a conscious decision. A rooster crowing is not. You could say that the conscious decision is when purchasing the rooster in the first place, but since in this scenario we've established that owning a rooster is legal, then we cannot argue that there will be consequences with the law

This isn't really a good analogy. In your case, you're using an instrument that can be picked up and put down any time during the day. Playing said instrument is a conscious decision. A rooster crowing is not. You could say that the conscious decision is when purchasing the rooster in the first place, but since in this scenario we've established that owning a rooster is legal, then we cannot argue that there will be consequences with the law
I know of 2 people who've been to the DA's office for non-compliance of nuisance crowing cease and desist orders in LA county (worked there way back). You can legally own a rooster, but you can't cause your neighbors to wake up at all hours of the night. Heavy fines for both cases for ignoring Animal Control visit. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom