Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
Pics
I know of 2 people who've been to the DA's office for non-compliance of nuisance crowing cease and desist orders in LA county (worked there way back). You can legally own a rooster, but you can't cause your neighbors to wake up at all hours of the night. Heavy fines for both cases for ignoring Animal Control visit. Just saying.

That's nuts.

If the property is 5 acres and the coop wasn't located right under the neighbor's bedroom window there's no way they were being woken up. Probably some kind of pre-existing neighbor dispute involved.

I have my for-sale pen about 15 feet from my bedroom window and they don't wake me -- though I do, of course, hear them quite clearly if I'm already awake.

I know of 2 people who've been to the DA's office for non-compliance of nuisance crowing cease and desist orders in LA county (worked there way back). You can legally own a rooster, but you can't cause your neighbors to wake up at all hours of the night. Heavy fines for both cases for ignoring Animal Control visit. Just saying.

That to me sounds like the neighbor and the owner had some preexisting problems. It is also interesting how the neighbors are woken up by the crows while we aren't, and the roosters obviously crow much closer to us

We accidentally got one when we got our dozen as chicks (first time we'd ever had any sort of farm animals). He hasn't been able to prevent a fox from grabbing a couple, but he certainly has tried. His whole back end of feathers were ripped out one time, and I had to help him recover for like a week (still took a few weeks for him to completely get back to normal, even just emotionally). He is good at herding them when he sees aerial danger and will tell them to hide though, and he'll put them all to bed (he likes to go to bed fairly early even if the girls wanna hang out longer, lol).

And yes, he can be a huge cock a lot of the time, always thinking we humans are a threat and keeping an eye on us if not directly trying to fight us. But I've gotten pretty good at just scooping him up and holding him for a while, then setting him back down. He usually chills out after that (at least for a bit, sometimes he's feeling more rambunctious in a day). But he does get put in his place by the ganders, too. So he doesn't strut his stuff too much around the yard, lol. I end up having to save him occasionally when he gets stuck in their territory or something, so I'll take on some goose bruises to protect him, haha.

That's nuts.

If the property is 5 acres and the coop wasn't located right under the neighbor's bedroom window there's no way they were being woken up. Probably some kind of pre-existing neighbor dispute involve
It could wake them up.
All my roosters and cockerels have fairly soft crows, and I never have any problems with them waking me up.
But once we were camping, and somewhere, (about 5 acres or more away) there was this rooster. It was soo piercing that it woke me up quite a few times, like nothing I've heard before.

It could wake them up.
All my roosters and cockerels have fairly soft crows, and I never have any problems with them waking me up.
But once we were camping, and somewhere, (about 5 acres or more away) there was this rooster. It was soo piercing that it woke me up quite a few times, like nothing I've heard before.
Were you camping in Nevada, Area 51 possibly?

That to me sounds like the neighbor and the owner had some preexisting problems. It is also interesting how the neighbors are woken up by the crows while we aren't, and the roosters obviously crow much closer to or the crowing

That to me sounds like the neighbor and the owner had some preexisting problems. It is also interesting how the neighbors are woken up by the crows while we aren't, and the roosters obviously crow much closer to us
Or the proverbial 'what came first, the chicken or the egg?" Neighbor got tired of losing sleep, rooster owner wouldn't do anything about it. Animal Control got involved, then DA. Rooster owner lost, paid fine.

The way this one is digging, she’ll be seeing you soon there in Australia: IMG_3228.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom