Thoughts on uncovered coop run flooring?

Since you said there's no drainage issues some form of deep litter could be an option (wood chips + other plant matter as you get it, like lawn clippings, dried leaves, garden trimmings). If you don't have wood chips readily available (didn't see trees in the photo) you can get undyed wood mulch. Aim for stuff that has wood pieces in varying sizes, that's what allows water to drain through. You don't want a bunch of tiny pieces like shavings as that just mats down instead of letting water pass through.

Since you said there's no drainage issues some form of deep litter could be an option (wood chips + other plant matter as you get it, like lawn clippings, dried leaves, garden trimmings). If you don't have wood chips readily available (didn't see trees in the photo) you can get undyed wood mulch. Aim for stuff that has wood pieces in varying sizes, that's what allows water to drain through. You don't want a bunch of tiny pieces like shavings as that just mats down instead of letting water pass through.

So when you all say wood chips are you talking like mulch size or something bigger? If not mulch sized where would one get something like that? I have never seen anything larger than mulch sized.

So when you all say wood chips are you talking like mulch size or something bigger? If not mulch sized where would one get something like that? I have never seen anything larger than mulch sized.

Mine are pretty varied in size because they came from my trees, so there's pieces that are pretty chunky. If there's tree trimming companies in your area, you can call around and see if they'll drop off a truckload of chips for a small fee. If that's too much for you to use you could possibly split a load with some neighbors.

If that's not practical a decent nugget/mulch size should still do the job.

Like this:
full

The Bountiful City Landfill just south of you sells wood chips for $25/ton.
All the Towns in my area give them away for free, but $25/ton is still a pretty good deal. Know any one with a truck?

The Bountiful City Landfill just south of you sells wood chips for $25/ton.
All the Towns in my area give them away for free, but $25/ton is still a pretty good deal. Know any one with a truck?

Thank you for that DobieLover. I think from what I have seen and what I am hearing that the wood chips might work out best for me. I do have one question regarding that however, how often to change it out?

I do have one question regarding that however, how often to change it out?

In most cases you don't have to remove it. You just add to it. As it breaks down it'll amend the soil beneath.

I do scrape off some for use in my garden if there's a patch of litter that's broken down pretty well, but that's maybe once a year.

Back
Top Bottom