Three mystery Chickens...

cassidian

Hatching
May 9, 2016
Florida
I picked up 6 chickens from a local feed store in the beginning of April, and three of those chickens do not appear to be the breed I purchased.

Mystery Chicken #1 Biscuit (definitely not the RIR I bought)

Picture of the crest-thing and brownish chest

You can see Biscuit's legs a little more in this picture

Mystery Chicken #2 Pebbles (Supposedly a barred rock)

Pebbles has some fluffy cheeks developing

More fluffy cheeked Pebbles (on the right) Chiclet (on the left)

Mystery Chicken #3 Chiclet (also supposedly a barred rock)

Chiclet on the left

At this point, I just hope most of them are hens...

Let me know what you think!

Not sure about Pebbles and Chiclet, but Biscuit looks to be a Cream Legbar. Lucky you!
big_smile.png
I've got two right now, one of which lays the biggest, most perfect blue eggs.

~Alex

Biscuit is a Crested Cream Legbar. Lucky buy! They are very uncommon in the US. I just got a breeding trio a few weeks ago. Pebbles looks like a Sumatra with her black legs and skin... Also quite rare. And my best guess is Chicklet is a good ole australorp:)

I agree, Biscuit is a Cream Legbar (it is actually improper, I've learned, to call them Cream Crested Legbar...Cream Legbar is the correct breed name). While less common, they are becoming more available to my pleasure. I've got 2 that lay lovely green eggs that I'm using for an OE program. And yes, they are autosexing, and yes, you've got a pullet.

I'm not sure that is a true beard on Pebbles...it might be just some juvenile fluff. If it is a bit of a beard, I think Pebbles is an EE. I agree Sumatras have pea combs, black face and comb, which eliminates Pebbles as a Sumatra.

As to Chiclet....I can believe Australorp. If any red bleed through comes in, then Black Sexlink. But with that much facial white, I think Australorp.

LofMc

I agree, Biscuit is a Cream Legbar (it is actually improper, I've learned, to call them Cream Crested Legbar...Cream Legbar is the correct breed name).  While less common, they are becoming more available to my pleasure. I've got 2 that lay lovely green eggs that I'm using for an OE program. And yes, they are autosexing, and yes, you've got a pullet.

I'm not sure that is a true beard on Pebbles...it might be just some juvenile fluff. If it is a bit of a beard, I think Pebbles is an EE. I agree Sumatras have pea combs, black face and comb, which eliminates Pebbles as a Sumatra.

As to Chiclet....I can believe Australorp. If any red bleed through comes in, then Black Sexlink. But with that much facial white, I think Australorp.

LofMc

Aw yes, but as the pullet does have a crest it would still be more than acceptable to call her a crested cream legbar (the crested variety). I mean she is created is she not?
If she wasn't than she would still be a cream legbar (breed name). Because creating is an incomplete gene it isn't exihibed by all the individuals within the breed (only about 2/3 are crested) so I can understand where your coming from by stating "crested" isn't the breed name, but it is a breed trait, which is why I included it in post.

I agree, that on second glance Pebbles is not likely a Sumatra. An EE could be possible or she could be a very dark australorp or I've seen black sex links start very dark too and lighten up as the red comes in.

Back
Top Bottom