Unsure of what I ended up with - please help!!

alektorophobia

Chirping
Jul 18, 2023
Indiana
Hi all. First-time chicken owner and after a lot of lurking, I decided it was probably time to make an account and ask the experts. The long and short is that I got seven chicks back on 4/12/23. They were supposed to be:
  • three barred rocks
  • two speckled sussex
  • one "mystery white" who was a week or so older than the others
  • and one was free because it was returned
They were all supposed to be hens. Well, the one that was returned quickly turned out to be a broiler, and we recently confirmed it was a rooster. My question/concern is about the other six, because while the types of chickens don't matter to me (although I'd love it if y'all could potentially help confirm what they are), I'm worried we ended up with more than one unintended rooster. I have an album full of mostly very silly chicken pictures/videos from the day I got them here because I've seen that behavior is helpful in sexing chickens.

Any insight/explanation is helpful - my background is in much larger livestock and while I've been trying to learn everything I can, there's a lot out there and it's all still very new to me.

You’ve got at least 4 cockerels I believe. Hard to tell with the Barred Rocks from the few pics I looked at but there is one that appears to have double barring (more white) and he’s got what looks like a nice tail feather going on.
I’m not as confident about the BR but the other 3 seem pretty obvious given comb and feathering.

Attachments

• IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5266.jpeg
    IMG_5266.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
You’ve got at least 4 cockerels I believe. Hard to tell with the Barred Rocks from the few pics I looked at but there is one that appears to have double barring (more white) and he’s got what looks like a nice tail feather going on.
I’m not as confident about the BR but the other 3 seem pretty obvious given comb and feathering.
Oh no 🙃

Edit: The giant white one you circled 100% was a rooster; I actually took it to my mother-in-law recently because it couldn't walk and he was apparently delicious. So if that somehow gets me down to 1 or 2, this might be manageable (if I go pick up more hens somewhere)

Last edited:
The giant white bird was a Cornish X cockerel. The two other cockerels are Easter Eggers (mutts). And the white skinny bird is a Leghorn. Also in this photo the ones I circled are cockerels. I also don’t think any of your BR are cockerels as by this point, their combs and wattles would be huge and they would have in all their sickle and hackle feathers.
D4B7C929-F9D3-48A6-B462-A7C80DF78871.jpeg

The giant white bird was a Cornish X cockerel. The two other cockerels are Easter Eggers (mutts). And the white skinny bird is a Leghorn. Also in this photo the ones I circled are cockerels. I also don’t think any of your BR are cockerels as by this point, their combs and wattles would be huge and they would have in all their sickle and hackle feathers.View attachment 3581029
The Cornish cross checks out with what I thought so that's a little exciting haha

The other two you circled are the ones I thought/am worried were also cockerels. They were supposed to be speckled sussex and female, but they increasingly don't look like what I feel like they should based on a million other pictures. The one on the right has been crowing recently, although I've been hoping it was a pecking order behavior and not a rooster behavior.

I see 3 Cockerels for sure, the BR's look like Pullets but it's hard to tell in those pics, at that age our BR girls had massive combs and wattles, so for now I'd say the BR's look like all Pullets but I've been wrong before...I believe...
I think they are, but my luck would be to somehow end up with seven male chickens. I'll try to get better pictures of them individually later if I can

The Cornish cross checks out with what I thought so that's a little exciting haha

The other two you circled are the ones I thought/am worried were also cockerels. They were supposed to be speckled sussex and female, but they increasingly don't look like what I feel like they should based on a million other pictures. The one on the right has been crowing recently, although I've been hoping it was a pecking order behavior and not a rooster behavior.
The two i circled on the left are 100% cockerels, sorry :(
They are most definitely not sussex as well because they have beards. I am pretty sure they are Easter Eggers.

The giant white bird was a Cornish X cockerel. The two other cockerels are Easter Eggers (mutts). And the white skinny bird is a Leghorn. Also in this photo the ones I circled are cockerels. I also don’t think any of your BR are cockerels as by this point, their combs and wattles would be huge and they would have in all their sickle and hackle feathers.View attachment 3581029
X2

Back
Top Bottom