tight fit in coop

Yes, but I cannot go back in time. I own the coop. Wife loves it. So I need to find a way to make it work. If I have 4 birds, I should try to find a way to create a 32 inch roost pole? Currently there is one roost pole 24 inch long. But it has to get move upwards (height) anyways. This creates an opportunity to manufacture a longer pole.

The more room they have the happier the birds. My coop is 5X8, and with that much space not a lot is going on in there. My chickens go under the house when it rains, if they're even around the coop. They have all kinds of spot to get out of the rain and wind if they care to.

Just stay at it and what works best for you will evolve.
smile.png

Quote:
A single 32" roost pole would be great, fine for at least 4, maybe 5. You do not need two nest boxes; one is plenty. Maybe you can turn one or even both into coop space. In your climate they most definitely do not need heat. They do need a draft free place to sleep and a vent up high to let the ammonia and humidity out, though; ammonia levels will get too high for their health before you can even smell it. You can even make a separate nest shelter in the run and use the whole coop for living space. A covered kitty litter pan with some shelter over the door to keep rain out would be fine, for example. Food and water may be in or out, as long as the food is kept dry, no rain blowing on it. As others indicated, space is important, but in that climate it can be outdoor space. You might even consider roofing a portion of the run so they can get out of the rain if they wish without going in the coop.

They are able to go under the run and I was considering creating another awning for rain within the run. I just put up the stakes and ran the bottom hardware cloth in the run. They will have exactly 104sqft of run space for 4 birds. I took dimensions and I can make a new 34inch roost for 4 birds. It would be diagonal. How high up should it be? It is currently at 6inch off the floor.

How much head room do they need? I can get it up about 20 inches off the ground. They would have about 18 inches headroom. The coop is tight already but 4 birds can fly up to a 20 inch roost within a box approx 28inch X 28inch?

Back
Top Bottom