Time for a Flight Pen "4/8 Updated"

Quote:
We have Coyotes who come up along the river at the back of our property. But with our Golden Retrievers kennel being behind the garage they do not come to close. The floor will be off the ground about 2-1/2ft and then with the 1/2" hardware cloth floor being locked down tight and also hardware cloth two feet up the sides it should keep out skunks and coons.

As far as bears and cougars it would depend how hungry they are. Alot of people in our area raise goats and sheep and they swear by Great Pyrenees dogs for protection of their herds from coyotes. I know they wouldn't stop a bear or cougar but they would alert you to a problem when they start barking. There are alot of bears and cougars in the hills around us but honestly I have never heard of attacks like that. Generally it would make the news in these small areas if they come onto a property and tear up livestock since the Fish and Game depts. get involved. This might sound crazy but I have heard many times people keep their hair clippings and spread them around. Some even go to barber shops and get bags of them. Something about the odor says humans I guess but have never tried it.

I was hiking up in the Cascades hunting Elk a few years back and everything was snow covered and pretty quiet with a slight breeze. My son was walking a lower ridge so I was alone. You ever have that creepy feeling that something is wrong and your skin seems to tingle. So I stop look around and it is like dead quiet. Anyways, a campfire and a cold one sounded good so I head back down and i'm walking in my snow prints and after about 100 yards I look down and there are Cougar prints in my tracks. That thing was following me up the ridge. Wish I had bought a tag for it. Who knows maybe it did not like my hair.
smile.png

Wow! That is coming along nicely! I am thinking about making a smaller version of this, maybe 8 or 10 feet long. My question is this: What is the size of the pipe you cemented into the 4" PVC and the size of the the smaller PVC pipe? I am just a little confused with the numbers you put on your original post.

Good work!

Thanks!
Cody

Quote:
I used 4-1/2' 4" Schedule 125 section in the ground, you do not need Schedule 40 because it has concrete in it. Next I dropped in a 4ft 1-3/8" top rail from home depot in the fence section, it is the top railing you tie your chain link fence too. 2ft inside the 4" and 2ft of the top rail is out. It has a pin in the bottom of the top rail we drilled so it won't pull out of the concrete. You could just use a nail.

Over that I used schedule 40 1-1/4' pvc "because it is stronger".
Here is where we got the idea.
http://www.quailranch-ok.com/flight_pen_design.html

Just build a 2x4 jig to mock up where the top rail goes. It is offset so the 2x4's can rest on the concrete to support the weight.

The weather chased us away today so I did not get anything done. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and winds down to 22mph. Never fails when you start a project the weather screws you up.

Last edited:
The wind, rain and Easter slowed things down. I'll be posting pics tomorrow, the floor and load out area and door frame are in. Just need to finish the steps and start laying down wire. My order from Cutler Supply and the Toprite netting should be here Thursday so check back tomorrow evening.

Hello,
I am thinking building a flight pen also,but I don't like the wire at the bottom, where I am going to built it I have planted cereals so the birds will be In a natural environment, and because it is planted I suppose that the birds will not be infected by parasites and diseases , but I am thinking that it is going to be hard to collect the eggs.Any thoughts about it???
Kostas

Back
Top Bottom