Time to be cruel to be kind ...?

The Harlequin

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 18, 2017
Our cockrell is pretty elderly (almost 7 years). In his early days he was very fiesty - I have the scar to prove it! - but in the past year or so has lost much of his bounce.

In recent days he has struggled to walk, especially when first released into the run, falling on to his belly and struggling to get up. He does eventually.
For the last few nights he hasn't been unable to climb up the ramp into the hen-house, and is instead lying outside on the ground. It's unseasonably cold in England at present and in our rural area is expected to drop to -8C (about 17F).

We've checked his legs and neither seems to be injured or diseased. He doesn't seem to be unhappy, or being picked on. Nonetheless I am wondering if it might just be time to despatch him as he's clearly struggling.

Obviously there's no simple answer, but what factors do others used to make this call?

Our cockrell is pretty elderly (almost 7 years). In his early days he was very fiesty - I have the scar to prove it! - but in the past year or so has lost much of his bounce.

In recent days he has struggled to walk, especially when first released into the run, falling on to his belly and struggling to get up. He does eventually.
For the last few nights he hasn't been unable to climb up the ramp into the hen-house, and is instead lying outside on the ground. It's unseasonably cold in England at present and in our rural area is expected to drop to -8C (about 17F).

We've checked his legs and neither seems to be injured or diseased. He doesn't seem to be unhappy, or being picked on. Nonetheless I am wondering if it might just be time to despatch him as he's clearly struggling.

Obviously there's no simple answer, but what factors do others used to make this call?
From what i read in your post he could be in pain and may not be having a quality life anymore. Putting down any pet is difficult, especially when you watch them grow old. I think it is time. But before you do let him go, spend quality time with him, spoil him, let his last memories be good ones filled with love. If your like that atleast, you seem like the person.

When they can no longer do basic things in comfort (eating, sleeping, pooping).. and there's also not any hope of improvement..

I would verify crop condition, appetite, internal /external parasite load, nutrient quality, flock position dynamics or withdrawal there of, etc.. before drawing this conclusion.. even pain management to SEE if condition improved..

Aging can get ugly.. and harsh weather enhances that.. in my experience.

Euthanasia is never the simple or easy choice.. it's a difficult heart wrenching one but such a gift compared to some alternatives.

I also consider the keeper.. my ability to meet whatever needs there may be.. a bird not making it to roost or feed is a dead bird here (or in nature).. unless I can be there constantly..

Sorry you both are facing this. :hugs

>> flock position dynamics

Yeah, he's always been Top Banana, obviously, as the only male, but when his comb got torn a few years ago the hens did peck at it mercilessly, and we had to isolate him for a few days until it healed.

This time I don't see anyone picking on him, but he doesn't bother to try and mount the hens when they leave the pen in the morning, and seems to wander around very diminished.

I'm trying hard not to be anthropomorphic about it though, that is, trying not to attribute human characteristics to a non-human animal.

Thanks for your interest. I know there's often no clear answer. It's just good to talk about it tbh.

Back
Top Bottom