Tiny the Terrorist Attack Hen! Will She Become a Suicide Flogger?

Pics
Tiny is still broody and now, my EE, Maretta, has gone broody again, probably due to Tiny's incessant clucking. Maretta's first batch of chicks will be 11 weeks old this Monday.
hmm.png

I'm sorry to hear Tiny isn't doing well.
sad.png

I too have a broody that is a failure. My English Orp crushed her eggs with chicks in them. Then she wouldn't accept chicks I brought home for her. She's been sitting for several months now. I tried breaking her, she laid eggs for a week then went back to sitting.

Kelly, I had very experienced broodies crush their chicks, seemingly on purpose, as they were zipping the shells. Nugget, who was the Super-Broody of all time here, did it on her 6th incubation. She knew exactly what she was doing. Soon after that, I realized that something was wrong with her internally, her face and comb color goes almost black often and she hasn't laid an egg since she went broody a year ago. She is over 5 years old now, so maybe she knows something is wrong with her.

Dusty, my 5 year old blue Orp, who raised two clutches of chicks, did exactly the same thing a few months apart from Nugget, crushed her lone chick as it was zipping. Now, Dusty seems very off as well, pale-almost white in the face and hasn't laid in many months, either. I bet they know their time is limited. They are smarter than folks give them credit for.

Dottie, my Stukel Rock hen, did that on her first try that actually ended in a chick making it to hatch day. She had several false starts and now, is successfully raising two chicks and is an excellent mother. Sometimes, I think it takes them awhile to get in the groove.

That is so strange Cyn!

She is a big, fat hen. But I think she doesn't know what to do with the babies. Her comb is really pale now. Developing eggs just disappear under her too. I'm just tired of dealing with her, I wish she would snap out of it.

Last edited:
I am having so much trouble getting rid of my extras right now that I'm letting Tiny's daughter, Raven, go with Ira, the Dellie-BR x who has been up for free rehoming for awhile now. They were raised by different broodies in the bantam coop and I really have to get rid of these. I don't even know if the lure of a pullet will help rehome Ira.

I am happy to report that Tiny is no longer broody. Maybe she'll live to lay another day after all. We threw her into a cage by herself and I said I didn't care if she lived or died in there, that she was killing herself anyway. It took about 3-4 days and now, she is back to her normal cantankerous self.

Last edited:
I am happy to report that Tiny is no longer broody. Maybe she'll live to lay another day after all. We threw her into a cage by herself and I said I didn't care if she lived or died in there, that she was killing herself anyway. It took about 3-4 days and now, she is back to her normal cantankerous self.
Ah, more adventures with Tiny to come! :)

Thank goodness! I was getting worried about the brat. I'm glad you got her sorted, Cyn.

Back
Top Bottom