tips and secrets of the GQF 1502 sportsman...

Pics
I was hatching with 25% humidity in mine. Again the state wants moisture higher. they want 50% and 65% at hatching.

I had to add a second water tray to mine and I am only at 45%. When I was at the 25% I simply put a piece of plastic (hard plastic) over half the water tray.

Also the air holes in the back will adjust the humidity. Just do not close them completely (IMHO) the chicks need air too.

I was hatching with 25% humidity in mine.  Again the state wants moisture higher. they want 50% and 65% at hatching.

I had to add a second water tray to mine and I am only at 45%.  When I was at the 25% I simply put a piece of plastic (hard plastic) over half the water tray.

Also the air holes in the back will adjust the humidity.  Just do not close them completely (IMHO) the chicks need air too.

Thx for the suggestion duluth
So you are saying to set up the humidity bucket and then out plastic over the pan?
Sorry my first time using my incy.

I have the older 1202.

I do not have the bucket system. but as I understand it the bucket is just a reservoir for the plastic "tray" container inside.

On mine it looks like a Tupperware storage container (kind of). I have a flat piece of plastic and just cover or uncover as much of the container as I need to get the moisture to the desired level.

I am going to add the bucket next year. I have to manually add water every other day.

I have the older 1202.

I do not have the bucket system. but as I understand it the bucket is just a reservoir for the plastic "tray" container inside.

On mine it looks like a Tupperware storage container (kind of).  I have a flat piece of plastic and just cover or uncover as much of the container as I need to get the moisture to the desired level.

I am going to add the bucket next year. I have to manually add water every other day. 

Thanks again. I will get the bucket filled and watch the humidity today. Getting anxious to set the eggs.
1f603.png

I was hatching with 25% humidity in mine. Again the state wants moisture higher. they want 50% and 65% at hatching.

I had to add a second water tray to mine and I am only at 45%. When I was at the 25% I simply put a piece of plastic (hard plastic) over half the water tray.

Also the air holes in the back will adjust the humidity. Just do not close them completely (IMHO) the chicks need air to.
Are you saying that you are hatching at 25% and had good luck? Just wondering as I am still trying to get enough water loss out of my eggs before lockdown and I am running my machine around 28-30% for the first 18 days. I am thinking that I might have to drop it to 25%.

I was getting a good rate, but I did have some chicks that never externally pipped the eggs.

The NPIP say that is sign of not enough moisture, so I am trying to do the states recommendation.

I am not sure how I will get it high enough for turkeys.

I was getting a good rate, but I did have some chicks that never externally pipped the eggs.

The NPIP say that is sign of not enough moisture, so I am trying to do the states recommendation.

I am not sure how I will get it high enough for turkeys.

Are you hatching in your cabinet too?

Quote:
I don't hatch in my cabinet, I only incubate in it. I use my styrofoam incubators as hatchers and get the humidity up to around 75% +/-. I try to keep my humidity low during incubation. Currently here it is very humid and rain on and off so I'm having a hard time getting my humidity below 40% incubating. My cabinet is an older one I have had for years but I'm sure it still works the same. I don't know how many air holes yours has in back my cabinet has 6, 3 lower and 3 upper. I do open and close them to control the humidity and have put foil or something over the water tray too. Currently I have a old license plate on it. I have posted quite a few pictures in this thread. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:
Quote:
It looks like you have a good plan. I wouldn't worry about the temperature. I equate my hatching to a broody on a nest. She does get off daily for several minutes to eat, drink and poop. Since you temperature is off by 1 degree, no problem. Nothing in this world is perfect. Good luck and have fun...

Quote:
If you have a bucket you can get a thru-hull fitting (like they use on boats) and put an adapter on it for the correct hose size with a shut off and make a bucket for your incubator. Drill a hole towards the bottom on one side of the bucket and put the fitting in it. Their should be thread on the fitting inside the bucket and on the outside of the bucket. To seal the fitting I used O rings. You can use a silicon caulk to seal it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom