Tips for showmanship?

I don't show but I do teach chicken classes.

You want to cage train them first in the type of cage you will be using. Get a lot of your friends to walk around the cage. Get them accustomed to you reaching in and taking the bird out. You can use treats to make them face you. After they seem comfortable, have a couple different friends do the same thing because strangers will be pulling them out of the cages. You want them to turn and face the judge when they put the bird back in. Treats again.

Bathing and prepping combs, wattles, feathers and legs is another issue and there are probably youtube videos on the topic.

Showmanship and cage showing are two different things.

The Youth Exhibition Poultry Association and 4H website will have lots of help, articles, videos, etc. Also contact your mentor or youth leader.
Showmandship is showing your bird to a judge and answering questions on your knowledge of the bird and it's parts.
Cage showing does not involve you handling the bird.

Cage training, as ChickenCanoe stated is an important part of conditioning your bird. It is a lengthy topic.

PoultryShowCentral has great articles on the home page that I highly recommend.

Hello, I just saw this and have a lot to say. Get the bird used to being held. Then once they're calm while they're being help begin to start spreading their wings out one at a time on both sides. The next thing to do is to flip them over. This is the portion that is either super easy or very difficult.
For the most part this is all. The rest also isn't stuff in sharing right now but will in an article.
I train my birds a different way that I don't really recommend but it works for me and is classified unless I am teaching someone at a show.

Try getting them used to being handled little and often, maybe start with 5 minute sessions and gradually build it up every day. After handling the birds, give them a few mealworms (or their other favourite treat) so they associate handling with positive things.

Turns out it's not showmanship it's exhibition.... sooooooo any tips?

Here are a few of my tips:
1) Wash bird 5-7 days before the show and keep in a clean pen inside, to allow natural oils to return to the feathers and allow the feathers to settle back down.
2) Apply a little Vaseline on the comb, wattles and feet before judging.
3) Feed and water your bird AFTER judging- this prevents them from getting wet feathers and pooping on the judge (which judges really hate!)
4) Ask the judge for feedback after judging- this is invaluable.
5) Enjoy yourself!

Also, what breed are you showing?

Here are a few of my tips:
1) Wash bird 5-7 days before the show and keep in a clean pen inside, to allow natural oils to return to the feathers and allow the feathers to settle back down.
2) Apply a little Vaseline on the comb, wattles and feet before judging.
3) Feed and water your bird AFTER judging- this prevents them from getting wet feathers and pooping on the judge (which judges really hate!)
4) Ask the judge for feedback after judging- this is invaluable.
5) Enjoy yourself!

Also, what breed are you showing?

Thanks! I'm gonna be showing two of my golden sebright pullets

Back
Top Bottom