Tips on Winter prep?

BeeRex

Chirping
Sep 2, 2023
This is my first year ever having ducks, and right now I use the hose for cleaning all their stuff. But come winter time the hose needs to be shut off so it doesn’t freeze and no pipes burst. What do I use to clean everything if I can’t use the hose? Any tips would be highly appreciated!

I use one of those hoses that shrinks when you shut it off , and I bring it inside my house, i carry it in a bucket when not in use, I cover my outside spigot with styrofoam and then in morning I bring out the hose and hook it up and fill all the waters. I use black rubbery tubs that are easy to dump and get the ice out at the end of the day , I always dump them at end of day . If it is an especially frigid day I check midday to see if waters are frozen and sometimes I bring out a tea kettle of boiling water to pour over top and melt ice then I stir it up. This has been working for me for 7 winters in northern maryland. also put waters in sunny places.

My Muscovy ducks don't get to use their kiddie pools during the winter and are fine. Long cold winters here in Eastern Ontario. I provide water in a large size gravity fed waterer which have a big enough bowl that they can completely dunk their heads. I have 4 so I an put 2 out in the morning, and switch them out around noon when they are frozen. I do have to store them inside each night to thaw out.
Even with a special freeze protection outdoor spout, I turn off water. Hoses would be impossible.

Back
Top Bottom