Tired Silkie

freepebs2016

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
My 11 month old Silkie hen has not been leaving her nesting box at all lately. Normally her and my easter egger forage in the years together, but the past week she has only left her nesting box when she is carried out of it. Her eggs have had very weak shells. The only thing that has kept her inside before this has been cold weather, but the weather has been nice lately. We are starting to worry about her. Please help!

My 11 month old Silkie hen has not been leaving her nesting box at all lately. Normally her and my easter egger forage in the years together, but the past week she has only left her nesting box when she is carried out of it. Her eggs have had very weak shells. The only thing that has kept her inside before this has been cold weather, but the weather has been nice lately. We are starting to worry about her. Please help!
Is she eating and drinking?

Is she perhaps broody?

11 months is a little early for a silkie, or at least mine, to go broody.

What are you feeding her? If the egg shells are weak it could be a vitamin deficiency. We were given some good advice and switched all our birds to Flock Raiser (we have water fowl as well as chickens) and add in oyster shells as well. Our birds also get to forage.

11 months is a little early for a silkie, or at least mine, to go broody. 

What are you feeding her? If the egg shells are weak it could be a vitamin deficiency. We were given some good advice and switched all our birds to Flock Raiser (we have water fowl as well as chickens) and add in oyster shells as well. Our birds also get to forage.

Thank you for your answer! Is Flock Raiser something that can be purchased online? There is only one type of chicken food that is sold at the stores near us. I have heard that oyster shells are a good source of calcium for them. We will look into it! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom