Tis the season.....

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
Tis the season for heat lamp caused fires. We've had our first local one, but I know it won't be the last....

https://www.facebook.com/KDRVErinMaxson?fref=nf

ditch the heat lamps, folks. Chickens are birds and birds survive cold just fine. Give them a place to go that's dry and out of the wind and they'll easily tolerate subzero temps. Don't be a tragedy.

yeah this whole week Vegas is dropping in to below freezing weather I have 4 girls so I just bring them indoors and sleep in a dog crate for anything 38 and belowI've had quite a few people recommend putting heat lamps and the coop form so I don't have them in my room its not worth it to me I love my girls too much plus their coop is right up against the house to the coop goes up in flames so does my home.

'nah...no heat lamps

-4 right now....they did their normal morning routine of run out, water, eat, naptime. We had windchills of -28 last night.

I closed the door behind them and put scrambled warm eggs and corn mash in the coop with them and a bowl of water. I'll go out and open the pop door at 1030. It should be about 0' then.

Rooster looked grumpy, as always. His door is shut too.

Tonight it is headed for -10 to -15.... if the little tree birds can make it....a weather hearty chicken should be fine!

Last night I put a couple of those handwarmers in a sock for the rooster. His new best friend - warm socks. LOL.

Here is the HEATED outdoor water dish this morning.

yeah this whole week Vegas is dropping in to below freezing weather I have 4 girls so I just bring them indoors and sleep in a dog crate for anything 38 and belowI've had quite a few people recommend putting heat lamps and the coop form so I don't have them in my room its not worth it to me I love my girls too much plus their coop is right up against the house to the coop goes up in flames so does my home.
You really don't have to bring them in. You're actually doing them a disservice. When you come in out of the cold, you get to take your coat and other cold-weather gear off. Your chickens don't. Think about it. Or better yet, next time you bring them in for the night, leave your coat on the whole time they're in the house. They do much better with consistent temperatures, even if those temps are cooler (or cold). They are acclimated to the cooler temperatures.

my room is kept between about 50 and 60 I live with a some samoyed husky dog who is a senior he hates the heat but the coolest gets to his bones if he sleeps outsidenot to mention I run hot all the time. the girls are also kept in the coolest part of the room. They themselves are the ones to set the temperature that they like to sleep indoorsanything below 38 when I let him out of the coop all they want to do is come inside and stay inside all day. When I bring them in at night when loads are below 38 when I let them out in the morning they go out and stay out all day they also have a choice they can either go to their coop or when I open the door they can come in here

they also know how to use the doggie door and they're kept on the scene that part of the room with newspaper and I don't lock them in the crate until about 830 9 o'clock so if they wanted to go out to there coop they can. my girls are very spoiled rotten

'nah...no heat lamps

-4 right now....they did their normal morning routine of run out, water, eat, naptime. We had windchills of -28 last night.

I closed the door behind them and put scrambled warm eggs and corn mash in the coop with them and a bowl of water. I'll go out and open the pop door at 1030. It should be about 0' then.

Rooster looked grumpy, as always. His door is shut too.

Tonight it is headed for -10 to -15.... if the little tree birds can make it....a weather hearty chicken should be fine!

Last night I put a couple of those handwarmers in a sock for the rooster. His new best friend - warm socks. LOL.

Here is the HEATED outdoor water dish this morning.
This is my feelings exactly. We have tons of little sparrow/finch/whatever....tiny brown birds all over the blessed place. No one immediately around me puts out feeders, so they've got to be finding their own food, which puts them at a disadvantage over my chickens. But those little birds are all over, all winter long. My big ol fat hens got nothing to complain about
wink.png

No heaters of any type in my coop, either. You should see how many different ways I have the light bulb fastened to the ceiling. I guess you could say I am obsessed with making sure my coop doesn't catch fire. If my animals died in a fire, I don't think I could live with myself.....

Back
Top Bottom