To heat or not to heat?

But from what I've read by keeping food available at night can help them keep themselves warm...and if they have food they must have water...so that leads me to believe if they are already cold taking away food is not the answer...
They don't eat or drink once it's dark. They have terrible night vision and once settled in for the night, they don't move till morning. Food and water in their house is pretty pointless. If they are getting an adequate amount of calories during the day, they should have enough fat built up to keep warm through the nights.

They don't eat or drink once it's dark. They have terrible night vision and once settled in for the night, they don't move till morning. Food and water in their house is pretty pointless. If they are getting an adequate amount of calories during the day, they should have enough fat built up to keep warm through the nights.
Ducks do not sleep all night like Chickens and do see at night...Although they can go all night without food and water after 8 weeks of age...

Ducks have evolved nice thick layers of fat and downy feathers to keep themselves warm. They really don't need extra heat as long as they have a place to go out of the wind.

Our weather here has been really mild until a few days ago when we got a real layer of snow for the first time this year. I took special note of my ducks, and yes, some did seem to be shivering a little the first day, but now they've acclimated to the new normal and are just fine. I did add some extra straw to the area they like to hang out in during the day.

Here's a video I took this morning of them having a jolly swim, after swimming in their other pool first:

Ducks have evolved nice thick layers of fat and downy feathers to keep themselves warm. They really don't need extra heat as long as they have a place to go out of the wind.

Our weather here has been really mild until a few days ago when we got a real layer of snow for the first time this year. I took special note of my ducks, and yes, some did seem to be shivering a little the first day, but now they've acclimated to the new normal and are just fine. I did add some extra straw to the area they like to hang out in during the day.

Here's a video I took this morning of them having a jolly swim, after swimming in their other pool first:

Omg!! Too funny! Love it

Back
Top Bottom