To heat or not to heat?

They look like they are almost there. Being in the coop for the 40 degree night will help them transition for the colder night, but if you are nervous you could use a heat lamp. I don't think it is necessary, but now I'm second guessing myself. I think other people will advise no to the heat lamp in the coop, but the picture will help them tell.

How did you make out?! I am currently in the same position, worrying about warmth, only temps will be low 50's tonight...I have 16 of them, 10 of them are 5 weeks old and they do all huddle...plenty of straw and shavings...just nervous on my part from all that I read but wondering how yours have been doing?

How did you make out?! I am currently in the same position, worrying about warmth, only temps will be low 50's tonight...I have 16 of them, 10 of them are 5 weeks old and they do all huddle...plenty of straw and shavings...just nervous on my part from all that I read but wondering how yours have been doing?
This reply is ridiculously late, and I apologize! I didn't see your post because I'm not very good at this. Trying to figure out the BYC sight. My girls did great, I hope yours did too? They actually all still huddle together at night and they are 10 weeks old now! Curious if yours go on their roosting bars at night? I've realized that chickens are tough! We've had some weird temperatures/weather here in Illinois. From freezing cold to horrible hot, windy rainy... all in the same week!!! since I've gotten them and they've handled it all like rock stars!

This reply is ridiculously late, and I apologize! I didn't see your post because I'm not very good at this. Trying to figure out the BYC sight. My girls did great, I hope yours did too? They actually all still huddle together at night and they are 10 weeks old now! Curious if yours go on their roosting bars at night? I've realized that chickens are tough! We've had some weird temperatures/weather here in Illinois. From freezing cold to horrible hot, windy rainy... all in the same week!!! since I've gotten them and they've handled it all like rock stars!

Yes they did great! The first several nights they laid together in a big pile and now they are actually all using their roost bars, looking less like little babies!! I did stick a Blink camera out in their coop to check in because I was so worried for them! They have an entire second roost bar to use but initially all liked going on one, which changed as they got a bit bigger bigger I'm sure. I accidentally just picked up 6 more chicks yesterday so I will start all :rolleyes: over with them in the house, I think we have seen the last of the 50 degrees for a bit lol! but I am trying to be a little less worried about the heat lamp temps and take advice from the chicken owners who comment on a bit if hardiness is not necessarily a bad thing!
roost.PNG

I have both their food and water in the coop because they stayed only in their coop for the first week (now that their run is complete, the water will go outside).

Yes they did great! The first several nights they laid together in a big pile and now they are actually all using their roost bars, looking less like little babies!! I did stick a Blink camera out in their coop to check in because I was so worried for them! They have an entire second roost bar to use but initially all liked going on one, which changed as they got a bit bigger bigger I'm sure. I accidentally just picked up 6 more chicks yesterday so I will start all :rolleyes: over with them in the house, I think we have seen the last of the 50 degrees for a bit lol! but I am trying to be a little less worried about the heat lamp temps and take advice from the chicken owners who comment on a bit if hardiness is not necessarily a bad thing!
View attachment 2196666

I have both their food and water in the coop because they stayed only in their coop for the first week (now that their run is complete, the water will go outside).
Ha! I love how they all use the same bar! I don't know if my girls will ever roost? They will go in and out of the coop during the day and I notice they will perch some but at night they are all huddled together in the corner still! Love your picture! I was thinking about getting a baby monitor with the camera and monitor to view mine, but golly....they are pricey! Guess I'll use the free method of walking out and open the door method for a while longer:D

Back
Top Bottom