To incubate or use broody hen?

Since you do have the hen separate and sitting on fake eggs, and have had trouble with the incubator, then giving the eggs to the hen might be the better idea. (I had previously thought she was in one of the coops with other hens, where they could jostle her and add eggs to her nest.)

Or you could split the difference, and give half the eggs to the hen while putting half in the incubator. If eggs hatch both places, you could combine the chicks under the broody, or combine them into a brooder without her, depending on how she does with them.
Also an eggcellent option to do.

I think the OP needs to post photos of this Cochin 😊 have to say I have a fondness for fluffy chooks 🥰

And Orpington are lovely fluffy chooks also.

@Crazy_Beautiful where are you getting the eggs from?

I think the OP needs to post photos of this Cochin 😊 have to say I have a fondness for fluffy chooks 🥰

We have 2 cochin's. They are Self Blue. One has vreat feathering and one has the splitting feathers. We think it makes her look like shes wearing a petticoat.
They are so sweet and friendly. Don't lay many eggs at all tho. Little tiny brown ones with spots.
I was also thinking of splitting the eggs up half a few half between her and the incubator.

I have 2 first time broodies that have eggs now! I think if you split the eggs between your broody and the incubator it would work this way she doesnt have to many eggs if she is small! I would love to see a picture of your cochin!
Im also hatching out Orpingtons and i have 2 bantam cochin eggs to.

So count out the 4 not fertile, leaves 10, and 8 hatched. I think that’s pretty good odds.

Has this hen hatched eggs before? 12 eggs is a lot even for a fluffy Cochin. And guess at the end of the day you need to do whatever feels right for you. I stilll can’t wait for baby pics though 😊
No she hasn't. Just been broody all summer it feels like.

My husband has Social Media and posted in a chicken group that I was looking for Black Lavender Splits. He was able to find someone with a flock of Orpingtons. The rooster is a lavender, hens are black, chocolate, lavender, splash and black. Chicks would be blue, black and lavenders.

Hoping to get more black and lavender then blues but just excited to find someone local to me.

Back
Top Bottom