To insulate or not to insulate?

Well I'm in Florida and I'm not about to tell you what you should do. But I can tell you that chickens, Florida chickens anyway, LOVE foam insulation. Eat it like popcorn. And exposed fiberglass would be a mess. I can't think of a way to insulate it that would not also involve some sort of finished interior wall. You probably already thought of that.

Last edited:
Well I'm in Florida and I'm not about to tell you what you should do. But I can tell you that chickens, Florida chickens anyway, LOVE foam insulation. Eat it like popcorn. And exposed fiberglass would be a mess. I can't think of a way to insulate it that would not also involve some sort of finished interior wall. You probably already thought of that.
Yeah, that is unfortunately why I am considering not doing it. Just that much more work to build the coop, but it sounds like it would be a good idea.

I'm in Hudson, Wisconsin and am in the process of designing my coop in sketchup. I plan to insulate the whole thing - floor, walls and roof. I just don't want to wish later that I had done it and I really think I won't regret it. It should help keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I will have plenty of ventilation to avoid any dampness problems. Anyone see this today (the photo from NBC Nightly News)? Aren't we lucky (Minneapolis would be the Twin Cities obviously - Hudson is also considered part of the twin cities since we're on the border). But I know ALL of Minnesota and Wisconsin had the same horrible winter this year!!! By the way, I read we even "beat" Alaska for days below freezing!!
Days below freezing isn't an issue it is supposed to be below freezing in winter here, it was the days below zero that caused the problem

Valid point! We are planning to sandwich the insulation, so the chickens pecking at it shouldn't be an issue.

Days below freezing isn't an issue it is supposed to be below freezing in winter here, it was the days below zero that caused the problem

Yes that's what I meant - my brain and fingers didn't convey the same thing haha. The twin cities had 53 days this winter below zero. Alaska had one of the warmest winters on record! Below freezing or below zero they both suck haha.

Valid point! We are planning to sandwich the insulation, so the chickens pecking at it shouldn't be an issue.

That's what we're gonna do too. How are you doing yours? I just saw a coop last night that did 1/2" OSB/ply with 1/2" rigid insulation and then another 1/2" OSB - all put on the outside of the studs. I liked that idea because then the inside of the coop was just the painted studs - not walls.

That's what we're gonna do too. How are you doing yours? I just saw a coop last night that did 1/2" OSB/ply with 1/2" rigid insulation and then another 1/2" OSB - all put on the outside of the studs. I liked that idea because then the inside of the coop was just the painted studs - not walls.
We are doing plywood (sorry, he's not home so I can't ask what size it is) on the inside with the insulation sandwiched between that and outside sheathing. Don't think we'll get fancy and paint the inside, although I did read somewhere that painting the inside helps seal the wood and gives mites and lice fewer nooks and crannies. Hope we don't have any of those pesky troublemakers, but I'm not naive enough to think we're somehow immune! LOL

Back
Top Bottom