To Peel or not to Peel (eggs for charity).

Sooner Magnolia

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Central Oklahoma
I'm getting tons of extra eggs right now and a nearby town has a community fridge where people can take food they need and donate what they like. I decided to hard boil a bunch in the instant pot and donate them in labeled sandwich baggies with 4 or 5 in each. I'm sure some of the people are homeless and others just need a little help.

I'm trying to decide if i should peel the eggs and keep the shells for my garden, chickens, etc. and save them that step or leave the peels on so they know only they touched the actual egg. I might also donate some cartons of uncooked eggs too.

Opinions would be appreciated.

NO peel.
If they peel their own egg and crack down on a shell or choke it's on them.
If you peel it, it is assumed that you got all the shell.

PLUS, eggs peeled can dry out faster, which is why many are sealed in bags with a salt water solution, which also inhibits, but does not stop bacteria.

Here all donated eggs must have a state license number and all contact information on them, as well as be cleaned and sterilized and in 100% new cartons, kept below 40' at all times.

So I'd ask at the donation center what is required and how they prefer them.

NO peel.
If they peel their own egg and crack down on a shell or choke it's on them.
If you peel it, it is assumed that you got all the shell.

PLUS, eggs peeled can dry out faster, which is why many are sealed in bags with a salt water solution, which also inhibits, but does not stop bacteria.

Here all donated eggs must have a state license number and all contact information on them, as well as be cleaned and sterilized and in 100% new cartons, kept below 40' at all times.

So I'd ask at the donation center what is required and how they prefer them.
Thanks. Don't know that I could ask as it is just an unmanned refrigerator, but I'll look to see if there are any guidelines posted.

OH it's one of those local pop-up pantries like the little libraries.
Usually if it's not posted there is a contact number still there.
Otherwise, I would still leave them peeled, in a baggie, noting they are hard boiled and with the date they were boiled, and a use/eat by/before date on them, one week from when they are boiled.

Same for the eggs. wash, good carton and put a use/eat by date on them as well as the date collected/processed.
Some people on my Neighborhood site gather staples to make one or two meals and give to needy families. I give them my extra eggs- clean, in a carton. Did not think to put a collected date on them- good idea- I just figured everyone knew to check them to see if they floated first.

Back
Top Bottom