To vaccinate or not?

1newchickontheblock

Songster
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Eastern MA
After reading some posts here I'm not sure I made the right choice...
I opted to not vaccinate the chicks I ordered that are due to be shipped April 12. I'm not a big vaccine proponent for us humans (eg flu, H1N1), so I figured go organically, and not vaccinate the tiny chicks against Mareks. I had read that Mareks was an affliction predominantly in the Pacific Northwest...
Any thoughts on this? Should I go ahead and have them vaccinated? (I assume I can still call and add this on if needed...)
hu.gif

Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks!

Having just had a hen die from this, I would vaccinate. There is always another side. I live in California and have a closed flock that I bought from a very good, clean, honest breeder, and somehow we still got Marek's. My hen was about 8 months old. My other birds are not sick...Yet
fl.gif
From what I understand Marek's is everywhere.

There is a debate as to whether the vaccinated birds becomes carriers. I have read on BYC that that is not the case. If that were true, how could you ever take a vaccinated bird to a show?

Anyways, I don't show so I am not sure about that. All I do know is that I personally will opt for the vaccine from here on out, carrier or not. And since my birds that aren't sick may now be carriers as well I have no choice.

Have fun with your new babies.

A big difference you should think of is the potential outcome of the disease if contracted. Flu and the average human does not equal death. I skip flu vaccinations for myself most of the time- as if I get it, I will likely be sick for a week- but not die. I but do vaccinate the dogs for parvo and distemper- as these things are seriously life threatening. Marek's exposure = death in many cases. We have it in this county, I vaccinate. I don't vaccinate my chickens for most of the other contagious stuff- as their risk is low (no shows, no travel, ect). There are LOTS of vaccines for poultry available, pick the ones most appropriate for their area and your type of flock.

Quote:

Identify what state and county you are in, and people here can tell you what they see in close areas. Call your state lab and ask them. Call any vet in your area that sees birds/poultry/livestock and see if they can make a recommendation.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom