To Worm or Not? And, Piperazine dosage for bantams?

Hi Ma Kettle,
I found the same ugly little things you described in my chickens poop also. I just finished round #2 of the liquid fenbendazole mixed in their water s few days ago, and am still seeing some worms. Maybe it's just not effective given in water. I'll have to try mixing with feed next I guess. Have you had any luck yet? 20 plus hens and only 5 eggs today (no we don't eat them now). I am terribly discouraged also.

Quote:
If you're seeing worms, likely those are the ones passing out because they're paralyzed and are being expelled.

Usually I do a little flush - a few drops of molasses, a teaspoon of applesauce, a teaspoon of yogurt, some honey, water, crumbles per bird - that way the worms are cleaned out of the system until just sitting there until they eventually pass.

Also remember about the eggs - it's molting time, lots of birds molting - so if your birds are on laying ration with oyster shell, not many grains, check them for pinfeathers.

How much fenbendazole did you give in water? And which one?

I gave them Safeguard dewormer for Goats,10% suspension, 3cc per gallon of water. Made sure it was their only source of water for 24 hrs. They have been laying poorly all summer, so think the worms may be responsible. I usually feed mixture of 1/2 scratch grains and 1/2 layer feed. Someone told me they don't need extra calcium from oyster shell, since there is calcium in the layer feed. Think I should cut back on the scratch and add oyster shell in again? Even my 30 + week old pullets are not yet laying. My hens mostly free range, but I've penned them up a few times to check the egg count, in case they were laying in the bushes or something, but no change.
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate this site, I could not find the answers in the books I have.

And what if they have gapeworm? Do I do the Wazine or just go right to the Ivermectin?

This is such a GREAT thread......thanks so much to those that have contributed....I'm such a newbie!!
bow.gif

Quote:
Yes. That is standard legal labeling to prevent lawsuits. The time for egg withdrawal is the same as meats as that's a tissue - 14 days. If you can eat the actual chicken with 14 days, you can certainly eat its eggs. They just haven't realized (like many poultry products) that it would be more clear to say "neither eat meat nor bodily products (eggs) within 14 days".

This wormer is FDA approved for use in poultry, one of the few that is, and is safe to use even for egg layers. You can feed the eggs back to poultry and animals. They usually don't sue.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom