To Worm or Not? And, Piperazine dosage for bantams?

This is a great thread. I best do a worming. I haven't noticed anything wrong. This is my 1st yr & 1/2 with chickens.

You have to throw away eggs for a wk after worming ? ??

You can worm when birds start their molt, then number of eggs disposed of is lessened.

frow.gif

I checked on MPC last nite & they have a couple or Organic dewormers & U don't have to throw away the eggs if using them. I think I'm going to try one of them

Quote:
I suggest you read the Merck Vet manual (online) about the different types of worms chickens can get...there are many. Roundworms, cecal worms would be a good start....and what the treatments are for those types of worms. You can also go to msucares.com and read up on worming (easier to read IMO) and what is recommended to treat for worms. I can assure you, natural remedies and concoctions arnt recommended at either website. Dont be fooled by misleading info on natural wormers, all they want is your money.

I just noticed this old thread has taken on a life of its own!
smile.png
Great that it is being so helpful to so many; I know it was very useful to me when such knowledgeable people answered my original questions.

And it's funny, because I just started a round of Ivermectin treatment today for worms, mites and lice. That's something I never would have done years ago because I just thought that my flock would "take care of itself" if I kept the barn and run clean and provided for their needs. Now I know better!

Love that BYC!

Last edited:
I think this is a great thread, and I've referred to it many times.

For the first time, I saw adult roundworms in chicken poop in my coop. (Free-ranging flock, several years on same general area of dirt - it was inevitable.)

I have wormed in the past on general principles with ivermectin paste - calculated the oral dose, administered with a syringe, and applied some under the wings for good measure. Forgot where I read these instructions - not on BYC, I'm pretty sure. I know I got the ivermectin dose from a scientific paper where it was tested on chickens in the Middle East somewhere.

Based on what I've read here, I first wormed with piperazine (Wazine) using the manufacturer's instructions for chickens. I now have Ivomec Eprinex pour-on, which I was going to use today, and thus was double-checking on the recommendations for dosing.

I was surprised to read on some sites that Eprinex does NOT kill roundworms!! In fact I saw that in a couple of places. Maybe that was a mistake - meant to be "does NOT kill tapeworms" that was perpetuated by someone repeating it elsewhere.

I cannot find a place where anyone has actually tested the efficacy of Eprinex for roundworms in chickens. I'm going to use it anyway, but does anyone really know whether Eprinex does or doesn't kill roundworms in chickens?

Thanks for your help -

I was going to worm my 26 week olds, but I decided to have an analysis done on their poop. The vet pronounced them clear of worms and cocci, so I don't need to worm them. It was a $15 test that saved me lots of money for 2 wormers (Wazine and Ivermectin) and throwing away eggs that we want to eat. Yeah!!

They have had DE in their bedding and dust bath since they were a few weeks old, and my vet says that is probably why they are clear at this time.

Back
Top Bottom