To Worm or Not? And, Piperazine dosage for bantams?

I own a feed store and was doing some research on Wazine for a customer. Absolutely no where on the bottle does it say to discard eggs for 14 days. It states that this product should not be used for hens laying eggs for human consumption. In fact the same goes for another "poultry" product--Sulmet 12.5% which is a sulfa drug used to treat a variety of diseases in poultry including coccidiosis. The only product I can find that is seemingly safe to use to worm egg layers is called Flubenvet 1%. It is 10 mg/g of flubendazole. I found it on a UK website and evidently it is available in a variety of countries but not the US. Would love to get some feedback from someone one who knows more about it. Also on natural wormer remedies.
You better read the back of the wazine bottle label again: "Do not medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkeys and chickens and 21 days for swine." You have to wait 14 days before eating the chicken so the poison clears the birds system. If the chicken is good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs. Feed the eggs to your dog.
There are 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. Sulmet only treats 2 types, Corid treats all 9 types.
Flubenvet is a good wormer but has to be added in the feed, I believe 7 days to be effective.
Here's a link for you to read about natural wormers. The member had an official necropsy performed and it was determined that the bird was infested with capillary worms resulting in weakening the chickens immune system. With the compromised immune system, this allowed other diseases and Ecoli to take over....all from using natural wormers:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576036
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576245
Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer is the best wormer on the market for chickens hands down.

Feed the eggs to your dog.

Oh... now THAT's brilliant.

thumbsup.gif

Not so fast--slaughter is not the same as egg production. Chemicals are metabolized differently in muscle tissues vs other body tissues. Manufacturers are not completing the tests for egg production but have them for meat production--possibly because of the commercial industry. I checked with the mfg and according to Fleming Lab makers of Wazine, they haven't done the studies on egg consumption withdrawal time like they have with meat. FDA with not allow them to put a written egg withdrawl on the bottle, but according to a rep FDA verbally said 17 days for eggs after the last treatment.
For Sulmet, same story. They have completed testing in other countries, though. It is the same period as slaughter in this case--10 days after last treatment.

Not so fast--slaughter is not the same as egg production. Chemicals are metabolized differently in muscle tissues vs other body tissues. Manufacturers are not completing the tests for egg production but have them for meat production--possibly because of the commercial industry. I checked with the mfg and according to Fleming Lab makers of Wazine, they haven't done the studies on egg consumption withdrawal time like they have with meat. FDA with not allow them to put a written egg withdrawl on the bottle, but according to a rep FDA verbally said 17 days for eggs after the last treatment.
For Sulmet, same story. They have completed testing in other countries, though. It is the same period as slaughter in this case--10 days after last treatment.
If you wish to eat the eggs, by all means do so. I'll abide by withdrawal periods however slight the residue in eggs. You are correct about the withdrawal period for Sulmet. There is no withdrawal period for Corid.

Last edited:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/439/treatment-of-intestinal-worms-in-broiler-breeders
this might be interesting for you to read- see the following which is from the above website

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]"Piperazine is the only FDA approved drug for treatment of roundworms in poultry. Currently, there are no approved drugs for treatment of Capillaria, tape or cecal worms in poultry. As a result, the drugs below (other than Piperazine) are used extra-label in drinking water when prescribed and monitored by a licensed veterinarian.

FDA prohibits extra-label drug use in feed; therefore all treatments must be administered via drinking water. Follow all manufacturer recommended doses. Consult your veterinarian for prescriptions and withdrawal times.
[/FONT]"

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/439/treatment-of-intestinal-worms-in-broiler-breeders
this might be interesting for you to read- see the following which is from the above website

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]"Piperazine is the only FDA approved drug for treatment of roundworms in poultry. Currently, there are no approved drugs for treatment of Capillaria, tape or cecal worms in poultry. As a result, the drugs below (other than Piperazine) are used extra-label in drinking water when prescribed and monitored by a licensed veterinarian.

FDA prohibits extra-label drug use in feed; therefore all treatments must be administered via drinking water. Follow all manufacturer recommended doses. Consult your veterinarian for prescriptions and withdrawal times.
[/FONT]"
Note that Albendazole (Valbazen) gets them all, including a few others not mentioned. (Eyeworm, flukes, gizzard worm)

"Can I Ask A Question" Can you describe what a roundworm looks like. I found about 4 in a coop (they were in a group) that I had one white leghorn isolated. They were about 2 " long and VERY thin. They were alive. They almost looked like sprouts from the grocery store. I killed them immediately. They were not in any poop, just by themselves on a wire chicken coop bottom. I used apple cider vinegar in her water as I had read this would kill worms. Any thoughts?

"Can I Ask A Question" Can you describe what a roundworm looks like. I found about 4 in a coop (they were in a group) that I had one white leghorn isolated. They were about 2 " long and VERY thin. They were alive. They almost looked like sprouts from the grocery store. I killed them immediately. They were not in any poop, just by themselves on a wire chicken coop bottom. I used apple cider vinegar in her water as I had read this would kill worms. Any thoughts?

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm
sounds like a large roundworm- treat with Wazine (piperazine) and retreat in 30 days to break the life cycle.

Vinegar won't kill the worms as far as I know. Worms can kill chickens and you should treat your whole flock as the worm eggs get on the ground and are ingested by the other chickens. Toss eggs for at least 2
weeks after giving Wazine, and Wazine isn't approved for egglayers so it is off-label for them.
http://www.google.com/search?q=roun...raygGd_IHwCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=640
yucky pics of worms on google images

Also: if you have other kinds of worms the Wazine won't kill them. For that you would need another wormer (off-label) such as valbazen or safeguard...not labeled for chickens and you need to research on BYC or ask if needed.

Last edited:
What a great thread for us newbies...

I'm here because I have one of my hens (out of 5) that has runny poop in the back and a dull comb. I'm thinking it might be worms. But I'm also thinking it would be a good idea to do a worming for all.

They are probably just over 6 months old and right now, I'm only getting 2 eggs a day (sometimes 3).

Would the dull comb also be a possible worm problem?

Back
Top Bottom