To worm or not to worm that is the question.

No one has brought up resistance to wormers which will happen quickly now that so many people are worming their chickens, in goats it's hard to find anything that works anymore, once again I think nature is about balance, a healthy chicken will have a healthy parasite load, it's a symbiotic relationship forged over many eons that once again humans are messing with.

Since I'm not reading all the posts in this run, I have have never wormed and I am uber confused because I am sitting here with a bottle of Wazine and it reads, " Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption". Plus, I am supposed to then use a different wormer
10 -14 days later? I'm not getting eggs now what with 3 being at the end of molting and 2 too young still. Please help!

I did the same thing years ago, bought the Wazine, read the bottle and thought why do I want to poison my hens, I got rid of it, and I personally have seen no sign of worms in any way, it is up to you to decide what to do.

I took back the Wazine and got Safegurard and sent away and got Valbazen...
Read about it on here.......Heck I am more confused too

Olddoglikehens, donrea, shortgrass yall are the first on here to tell me you dont worm. I fall more in line with yall simply because i believe God designed them to beable to take care of certian things. In the wild they had to deworm naturally so i agree with yall i just kept reading deworm deworm. I have a friend who hasnt dewormed ever she had her flock three years. So thereis that. And ct i get where your coming from if you see an issue to treat it. But if there no issue why do so many treat regularly? Thats what has me confused. For us we would lose a lot of eggs which in my book is just wasteful. I am not sure i am ok with that part.
Some worms can actually pass in to your eggs. You will not see all worms unless they are round worms which look like spaghetti and there are the segments the tapeworm drops off, you will see that look like rice moving out of the poop so they can be eaten by another host. Everyone has their own opinions but I think everyone should google all of the internal parasites a chicken can pick up to help you make your decision. I get a dozen of eggs a day, so when I worm, I'm ok knowing I have a few eggs in reserve and most importantly my chickens are healthy. And pumpkin and cayenne do not work. I tried all of that stuff. My hens still ended up with worms. They get the parasites from the insects they eat. Good luck!

Since I'm not reading all the posts in this run, I have have never wormed and I am uber confused because I am sitting here with a bottle of Wazine and it reads, " Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption".  Plus, I am supposed to then use a different wormer
10 -14 days later?  I'm not getting eggs now what with 3 being at the end of molting and 2 too young still.  Please help!
if they aren't laying then you have nothing to withdrawal from. Wazine is only for Roundworms so you'll need to follow up with another one to kill all the types of parasites. Wazine does not work. The only wormers that do are off label meaning they are made for swine, goats and cows. Those would be Safeguard for goats and Valbazen. If you enter those in the BYC search bar, you'll find all the info you need on them. But beware don't tell the feed store you these for chickens, they aren't supposed to sell them off label. And everything says it's not for laying hens because the FDA doesn't want to spend the money for backyard flocks. I hope this helps.

Don't mean to open another can of worms here...(pun intended!
1f61c.png
) but for those of you who don't worm. Do you medicate at all? Like what about if one of your chickens gets coccidiosis? I just bought Sulmet today because of my chickens "may" be showing signs of this and I just want to have it on hand because this seems to be one of the most prevalent chicken ailments even under the best care and conditions.

Don't mean to open another can of worms here...(pun intended!
1f61c.png
) but for those of you who don't worm. Do you medicate at all? Like what about if one of your chickens gets coccidiosis? I just bought Sulmet today because of my chickens "may" be showing signs of this and I just want to have it on hand because this seems to be one of the most prevalent chicken ailments even under the best care and conditions.
I am going through the same thing! Where did you find it?

Last edited:
With regards the worms building up a resistance to wormers, it is recommended to rotate wormers by alternating from one compound to another. This does not necessarily have to be done every time you worm but can also be on a seasonal basis. Some seasons are more ideal for parasite growth than others and some parasites may be more active than others at different times of the year.

Back
Top Bottom