To worm or not to worm that is the question.

the coop is attached to the run that is all wire and posts, wire roof as well. There is nothing in that soil and it packs down super fast and easy. I shovel and turn it everyday to keep it clean. I've added a lot of dirt and sand in one corner for dusting. Can I put some if the Pine needles in the run? Or just leaves and mulch?

I would sweeten the soil with a good dusting of barn lime, that begin adding leaves, grass clippings, hay, mulch, or spent mulch chickens love. I don't turn mine the chickens do, I just add organic matter as needed or if I have it, my run is fluffy soil under the organic matter.

Yep, except I would prefer dolomite lime over agricultural lime, as dolomite is organic and will buffer the ph up to 7, neutral, without possibly toxifying the soil. I would also incorporate something like greensand or humus; azomite or leonardite are great sources, and are organic so if the chickens munch and dig, its actually good for them, like mineral supplement ;)

Pile it deep and add to it often in the run, as that's where it will make the most difference to your soil...in that area I'd get it a foot deep and maintain it there, if possible.  I'd use the pine needles along with everything else.  A good variety makes for the best compost, with different types and sizes of materials.  I add small twigs, pine cones, etc.   Some of the things in my coop over the years:  leaves, sticks, pine needles and cones, deer fur, sawdust, shavings, ramial wood chip, bark, straw and hay in moderation, bones, old turtle shells, feathers, weed and garden refuse, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, garden scraps, canning scraps, and just about anything else that will compost along with chicken poop. 

Yep, that too :) Improving texture and water drainage will help with keeping the run well drained too, in case it gets flooded during certain times of year and the chickens end up standing in muddy poo :p

Last edited:
That's all why I don't worm, it unnecessary, if your chickens are succumbing to worms than there is something else they are dealing with health wise, you are only seeing the symptoms expressed as a heavy worm load, parasites don't want to kill their hosts, that would kill them as well, which is biologically unsound.

Quote: I think if one looks hard enough they can probably find the actual withdrawal time on any drug. I don't use Wazine, so I haven't bothered looking for it.
hide.gif

Would it surprise you to know that the only birds I de-worm on a regular basis are my peafowl and turkeys? It's not that I don't think worming is a good idea, it's just that there is no feasible way for me to do the whole flock. Of course I will worm any that look off, but that's it.

-Kathy

I'm not trying to be ignorant or difficult here. I'm getting this, really. You don't go around deworming birds in the wild, if they get overloaded with worms they die. The weak ones DIE. Yes. We rescued Barred Owl that was on the side of the road once. We took it to a wild life rehabilitation center. When we checked on it later they said it had a parasite overload and when that happens they get grounded...can no longer fly. So there is an example of what happens to birds in the wild. It would've died. The wild life center treated it and released it two weeks later. Owls eat mice and squirrels. Chickens will eat mice. Cats that are outside also eat mice and need to be wormed or they will get malnourished...seen it happen before. Sooo....scratching my head. I don't plan on having lifer chickens. I plan to keep them through productive egg laying and then process for stew. So I'm assuming 3 years of no worming and all "should" be fine?

How old can hens get if you dont deworm. I have a few that we are attached to. I am not sure how long they will live basised off their breeds. But i am not planning on deworming any of them. I realize if they become infested i have to cull them in order to protect the rest same as if any get sick. And if they are infested with worms are they good to eat still and if they are sick? I realize if its an infection not going to happen there but what about other illnesses?

Back
Top Bottom